- sixteen

feeling his bed underneath was a big relief for yangyang, landing face-first into his pillow

feeling his bed underneath was a big relief for yangyang, landing face-first into his pillow. the palm of his hand — the one kun held — still felt tingly. even his fingertips did ever so much. he still can't believe that happened.

he thinks to tell jian and mingli, but chooses to wait until the morning. they're probably asleep, knowing them. especially mingli. he tends to go to sleep ridiculously early. that's just how he is.

anyways.

yangyang moves his head, catching sight of his clock on the nightstand. he should take his shower already and head to sleep. he moves his heavy, tired body from his bed and searches for pyjamas to put on when he gets out. a quick wash would do. when he walks out of his bedroom, he sees kun emerge from the bathroom, running a hand through his hair.

"hey," kun says quietly.

"hi," yangyang says back. "are you going to sleep?"

"probably not. i have off monday and i'm taking advantage of that."

"oh," yangyang frowns a little. "lucky you, but i don't. i have night shift, though."

"then, you can sleep in," the corners of kun's lips stretch into a smile. "another movie?"

"stop reading my mind," yangyang whines playfully. "but let me take my shower."

"of course."

yangyang's done faster than his usual, stepping out in his usual t-shirt and shorts and entering the living room to happy throw himself onto kun. well, into him when he jumps onto the couch with a laugh. kun grabs him around the middle to slam him onto the couch instead of on top of him.

"what are we watching?" yangyang asks, catching his breath.

"i don't know," kun shrugs. "what do you want?"

"i never know what to pick," yangyang admits honestly. "you should. you pick good movies, anyways."

kun looks away. "do i?"

"yeah," yangyang nods, crossing his arms across his chest. "the last couple times we watched anything — "

"i'll just see what's on at the moment," kun simply says and that's the solution to the problem. the tv flashes on and he does the usual going through several channels routine before setting on some animated princess movie.

kun pulls the blanket over them as yangyang scoots closer, letting his entire body be covered other than his head, eventually just resting it against kun's shoulder. it feels somewhat nice to just be close to his best friend without worrying about honghui. they've broken up, anyway.

for a few moments, there's silence between them. neither of them as they watch, though yangyang was finding himself starting to drift off. the blanket and the feeling of kun nearby was warm, making his eyelids grow heavier and heavier.

the sound of the moving turns into a near silent buzz once he finally falls asleep.

****

yangyang presses his hand down into the sand, seeing some coming back up through the spaces between his fingers. it's warm as usual, the smell emitting from the nearby ocean. waves came up onto the shore to pull away immediately after, leaving behind wet, darkened sand and little seashells poking up from it. yangyang should start collecting again.

the breeze is wonderful. same as the smile kun was giving him. especially with soft look in his eyes, brimming with love for him. it's a look on his face that yangyang wasn't expecting to be directed at him. yangyang just feels even more warmer than before, his entire body feeling tingly as the butterflies in his stomach went crazy.

they don't say anything, just letting the waves keep making all the noise to fill the quiet. then, kun tilts his head to the side as he slips a hand on top of yangyang's, as if he was asking for something. yangyang nods. he knows what he's asking for and he's definitely going to give permission.

kun softly smiles again before slowly leaning in, his eyes starting to close. everything seems to go in slow motion as his face nears. yangyang moves to meet him in the middle, his eyes fluttering closed as well —

"yang, wake up."

and yangyang's dream is ruined when he wakes up, blinking as his vision clears. he doesn't know how he ended up asleep on the couch while laying on it, a pillow under his head for it to rest on. kun wasn't there anymore and he figured he moved him in this position to help him sleep easier. it makes his heart swell with affection for the angel.

"what time is it?" yangyang says through a yawn.

"it's almost the afternoon," kun answers. "you've been asleep longer than me."

"i can see that," yangyang yawns again, closing his eyes and nuzzling back into the soft pillow. can he sleep longer? "what's for breakfast?"

"anything, i'm not in the mood to cook," kun mumbles, walking into the living room to pick up the tv remote to change the channel. yangyang lifts his head to nod, his eyes opening again.

they didn't do much before yangyang had to leave for work. watching tv, playing board games, telling dumb jokes that were ridiculously bad yet they still laughed. kun's attempted 'dad jokes' were on a whole other level of horrible, but yangyang liked them and that's what matters.

when yangyang did get back from work, he was exhausted. he smelt like fast food, those annoying customers' loud voices still made his ears sort of hurt, and he was at his limit. one more unfortunate thing could push him past it. kun had to be asleep by now since it was almost midnight and the thought made yangyang's mood dip even more. he won't even have kun to cheer him up. he takes a quick shower to wash off that smell yangyang had grown annoyed of, quickly changing into comfortable pyjamas so he can hurry up to sleep.

the next morning, kun does make him a cup of coffee, reminding yangyang strongly of all those times before. lightly touching his arm with a hand, kun says, "good morning. slept well?"

"yeah, i did," yangyang nods, bringing the warm mug up to his lips. he tilts it more, letting just the smallest amount of coffee slip past before moving the cup away. "when are you leaving?"

"in a few minutes," kun glances towards the folder on the dining table a top a book. "i can hurry up and make something small for breakfast, if you want."

"no, i can make something myself," yangyang waves his free hand once kun slips his own off of his arm. "i don't want to hold you by accident or something."

"well..." kun shrugs and glances away again. "alright."

they keep a light conversation going before time strikes and kun has to leave. kun quickly heads over to the dining table to gather his things. then, he goes for a coat and his keys. yangyang watches him, hesitating for a few moments before walking over. "have a good day, gege."

"thanks, you too, double yang," kun says in a quiet voice. then, they just stare.

it's quiet, silent, except for the faint noise of the tv in the background. kun opens his mouth as if he's going to say something, but it barely does before he's moving forward, leaning forward —

but yangyang steps back, his cheeks already going pink. kun masks it with an awkward laugh and a "i should get going" before leaving.

while driving, kun can only think about what the hell he was even trying to do there.