- three

the drive home for yangyang was oddly quiet

the drive home for yangyang was oddly quiet. he had the volume for the music down low so that it was barely heard over the sounds of his car and the cars passing by. perhaps it was because his whole mood was ruined in a snap of a finger. the whole day got worse when another car rammed into his, sending him swerving off the road. when he gained control  of his car again, the first thing yangyang did was get out the car and check himself for any injuries before checking his car. the entire lower back of his car was pretty badly totalled.

"shit!" he swore loudly, placing a hand on his head. why couldn't things just go his way? they never seemed to... first, not getting accepted into the college he wanted. second, honghui... and now this? why did the universe suddenly hate his guts these past few months? he considered calling jian or mingli but they lived way too far away and yangyang would feel bad waking up jian anyways since he barely slept properly yesterday night. that left his only option: kun.

yangyang's little plan of avoiding kun for the entire day really wasn't working out too well, was it?

after pressing on his contact, he held his phone up to his ear, waiting for the ringing noise to disappear. eventually, it did (quicker than yangyang honestly expected). "hey yang. what is it?"

of course, kun sounded tired as fuck, the other male even letting out a yawn. it was the first time yangyang has heard his voice after hours of not seeing him and for some reason, he was red in the face. "i... well..."

"well... what?"

"some car ran into me from behind," yangyang retorted, pretty much able to easily picture kun's reaction vividly in his head. "my car is pretty badly-"

"holy shit, are you okay?" kun's original tired tone rose into a worried one. "you aren't hurt, are you?"

"no, no, i'm perfectly fine," yangyang replied reassuringly, his heart warmed knowing that the other cared about him. he heard a faint 'oh thank god' from the other end following his response.

"good... erm, do you want me pick you up?" kun questioned.

"of course," yangyang said into the phone, quickly telling him his location soon after. kun simply told him 'i'll be there soon' and hung up. to pass the time, yangyang sat on the grassy ground, looking up and watching the night sky above him. the sky was clear enough to see the shining stars, the moon also visible from behind the grey clouds as the sudden gust of cold air chilled him. without checking his phone, yangyang really didn't know what time it was when kun finally arrived, hurrying out of his own car and over to his flatmate.

"you're here," yangyang said with a smile, standing up as kun reached him.

"i took awhile because there was some accident back there," kun glanced behind him before turning back to yangyang, looking ready to pull off his jacket. "are you cold?"

"no, i'm fine," yangyang answered, but kun took off his jacket and handed it to him anyways. his expression was insisting and he couldn't say no to him, putting it on despite his response to kun's question. for a while, they just stood there, softly smiling at each other, both red-cheeked from the cold. yangyang swore his heart was beating faster within his chest and he could just kiss kun in the moment... but it would be wrong on many levels.

****

yangyang's car would be in the shop be a week or a so due to the damage. he let kun help him pay for the repairs but turned down his offer to borrow his car, simply telling his flatmate he'd ask jian to drive him wherever or use the bus. at the moment, he was heading to the café for a simple breakfast sandwich to eat, maybe with some coffee. kun wasn't in the kitchen that morning when yangyang woke up, leaving him a text that he had to be over at honghui's.

even with a heads up, a part of him still was expecting kun to be there, coffee cup in hand while giving him a smile that never failed to make the butterflies in his stomach go crazy. or at least a steaming cup waiting for him on the counter, still fresh and hot. but there was nothing — just an empty, lonely small kitchen.

he walked inside the warm coffee shop, inhaling the smell of coffee beans and various food the shop had. yangyang hurried ahead to the counter, greeting the cashier — an old classmate — with a smile. "hey, lanfen."

"oh hey," the woman retorted cheerfully. "haven't seen you in awhile."

"my mornings have been filled with donuts recently, sorry," yangyang responded, making lanfen laugh.

"anyways, what do you want today?" lanfen questioned. not needing to look up at the menu above her brown haired head, he easily answered right after.

"one breakfast sandwich and..." yangyang hesitated for a moment, now eyeing the coffee section of the menu. he doesn't really need coffee and he doesn't have it everyday these days. he can do without it for once. "...that's all."

after finishing his small breakfast, he headed to work for the day. an entire day of taking orders at the drive thru isn't the most pleasant with certain customers talking too low or too loud complete with one tossing their drink on him, led yangyang went home in a pissed mood. he just needed one more thing to push him over the edge and make him snap.

he opened the door of his flat, his legs tired from walking all the way from the fast food place back home, letting out a sigh.

"you're home," came kun's happy voice from the couch while patting the open space next to him. "come join me."

of course, that idea sounded great to yangyang. gladly with a new smile on his face, he sat down next to kun, resting his head on his shoulder. "i had a bad day."

"you did?" kun asked. "elaborate."

"i hate working at the drive thru," yangyang retorted. "i probably still smell like coke."

"aww," kun cooed.

before he knew it, yangyang was resting his head in kun's lap where the bowl of popcorn once was as kun brushed his fringes from his face — something he missed.