- four

yangyang felt a lot better after that

yangyang felt a lot better after that. after he finished a proper retelling of his work day, he took a quick shower so he could join kun on the couch again. his bad mood evaporated into pure happiness — kun always made him happy. most of the time, anyways. better yet, the angel said he'd take them to the carnival tomorrow, just like old times. the same one that gave yangyang so many memories he likes to think about every now and then.

like the time they ended up stuck on the ferris wheel for hours and kun managed to make the entire ordeal actually bearable with jokes and comforting words. that's just a power of his yangyang honestly admires. the thing that really sparked up his happiness more was the fact that honghui wasn't gonna come with them, just time alone for just the two of them. also yangyang wouldn't be awkwardly third wheeling.

in fact, honghui's name was never really mentioned after that for the rest of the day. usually, he was either mentioned because kun was leaving to spend time with him (which felt like everyday) or because he was coming over.

eh, yangyang couldn't care less.

what if it was a repeat of that one utterly perfect day?

it was back awhile ago. maybe it was the same day they got stuck on that ferris wheel, but yangyang couldn't exactly remember well. he was trying to use one of those claw machines; purposely rigged for you not to win.

he was trying his best not to get frustrated, inserting another coin to have another go at it. again, the claw dropped the stuffed animal back into the pile of them. he bit back a swear and tried once more, but his umpteenth attempt came back unsuccessful. at that point, he may as well just have given up with the constant failure.

then, kun finally returns from wherever he had went, announcing his arrival with, "unlucky?"

yangyang whips around with a slight jerk of surprise. "y-yeah."

"let me try," kun then says with a grin. "which one are you going for?"

"any's fine," yangyang answers truthfully. then, in utter awe, he watches as kun inserts a coin, works the machine, and easily wins a dog stuffed animal. the only word he could muster out was, "how?"

"i'm just that lucky, i guess," kun shrugs with a modest smile. "here."

yangyang takes the stuffed animal before pulling the older into a tight hug. thinking back to that moment, he can only hope it goes well as that time did. other than getting stuck on a ferris wheel, even that major event even occurred that time when kun won the stuffed animal. but the start of their trip to the amusement park was dampened when kun pulls out his phone as they walk in side by side to call his boyfriend, honghui. so, off to a great start, of course.

"i'm just at the amusement park," kun says into his phone, looking rather annoyed. yangyang's never seen him annoyed with his oh so perfect boyfriend before and it makes him rather curious. he acts like he isn't intentionally listening in on their conversation. "why does it matter who i'm with? i'm with yangyang. he's my best friend, why can't i be?"

in a sad way, the words 'best friend' kind of stung. yangyang knows kun is dating someone else, but it still hurts probably more than it should. the same reminder of the waterfall called 'falling in love with kun' with the shard rocks of realisation and heartbrokenness at the bottom of it.

"i won't be out long, besides, you can do that on your own," kun goes on. "i know your parents are coming from france to visit! but that's three weeks away, hong. i — i said i won't be out for long. just let me spend time with yangyang, okay? au revoir."

he finally hangs up and yangyang's mood lifts just a little. finally. honghui isn't messing things up anymore! "are you good?" he asks softly.

"yes, sorry about him," kun says apologetically. "his parents are coming from france to say hi and it'll be my first time meeting them in actual person..." he pauses briefly. "...then, he needs me to get flowers for them? i don't know which ones they even like, so i won't even be any help. gosh, he can just be so... clingy at times. i still love him to death, but damn."

yangyang isn't sure what to say, but it does kind of ruin the whole 'perfect boyfriend' image he automatically gave honghui. "hm."

"oh, sorry, i was rambling on about hong," kun sighs before smiling. "this should be about us. spending time together as friends, right? not my boyfriend."

friends. yeah. that's all they'll ever be, won't they?

yangyang curses his feelings at the moment, wishing the word 'friend' didn't hurt as it did. he's smiling back at kun, masking his true hurt. he should be happy — ecstatic even — to spend time alone with kun without honghui butting in, but so far, he strangely hardly feels like that. perhaps it was because he thinks too hard about what they could've had... as in, being in a relationship together. being boyfriends if honghui hadn't walked into their lives.

but he's happy for the friendship they still have. it heals the pain in his broken heart, although just barely.

though, the thoughts are driven from his head as their time together continues on, grinning ear to ear and sharing jokes that made each other laugh. yangyang was free to cling onto kun without feeling honghui's eyes shooting daggers into his back. not that he ever really hugged kun anymore around honghui anyways — he was always hugging kun first, slotting himself right next to him and leaning on him, always guarding him like some sort of guard.

well, moving on — they ended up back on the ferris wheel, yangyang keeping a new stuffed animal tucked under his arm that kun had won easily with his natural luck. from how high they were, they could see the beautiful view below of all the buildings and lights in the distance. it would never not leave yangyang awestruck and that was his main focus until kun spoke, breaking the silence.

"i should say sorry," he starts quietly. "we haven't really been spending much time together or with the rest of the gang. i haven't seen jian or mingli in ages, haven't i?"

yangyang's heart swells. "kun — "

"i would love to have more moments like this," kun says honestly, meeting yangyang's eyes that suddenly seemed to shine. "how about tomorrow? just me, you, jian, and mingli?"

yangyang nods. "sure."

though, he was hoping it would just be him and kun again. but that will do. honghui's not coming.