- two

yangyang hoped he came back at a good time

yangyang hoped he came back at a good time. honghui said he and kun were supposed to have a simple date in kun and yangyang's shared flat, hence why he called jian and headed to the beach for the rest of the day. remembering the day he was told honghui was supposedly giving kun a french lesson only to see them making out once he came back from his internship, he learned a good time to come back when honghui had long gone home.

unlocking the front door and opening it a little, he peered inside, simply seeing the tv on and only one visible head on the other side of the couch. yangyang felt the tightness in his chest untie with a sigh of relief — perhaps he got lucky today. he finally walked in, closing the door behind him and making sure to walk past the couch on his way to his room.

the feeling of relief he had suddenly evaporated like a puddle on a blazing hot day. there lay honghui, asleep, in kun's lap, his boyfriend combing his hair with his hand. a place that was yours once, said a voice in the back of yangyang's head. when his flatmate looked up at him, shooting him a warm smile as usual, yangyang's frown instantly changed into one as well, only more forced and not genuine.

"did you eat with jian?" kun asked in a whisper. "if not, we made dinner and we have leftovers."

"no, we ate," yangyang retorted, the words feeling like a full lie on his tongue. it was technically true, if donuts count as a full-on dinner meal. if not, then he really didn't eat. sure enough, his stomach basically growled at him to take some leftovers, but he ignored it and went to his room without another word so he could take a shower. maybe he should've asked do stay at jian's house so he wouldn't have gone to sleep on an empty stomach.

but he made sure to on sunday. after waking up earlier than the couple and wolfing down a quick breakfast of cereal, yangyang called jian and soon enough, he was driving to his house. usually, he'd give kun a 'good morning' whenever he was handed coffee that day, but he really didn't feel like it. besides, if he wanted coffee so bad, there's always that starbucks he passes by on the way to jian's house.

his house was way out there, away from the city and more into the peaceful countryside. yangyang really did like driving this way, seeing the beautiful sight of nature such as grass and trees instead of the usual tall, grey buildings that were on almost every corner. from the radio played some acoustic song and it just added to everything else — a perfect combination.

soon, he pulled up to jian's house. it was really out there in the country — the two neighbouring houses being a decent amount away from his. after getting out his car, yangyang walked up the front steps and knocked on the front door. it took a few moment, but soon enough a tired-looking jian opened the door, giving him a weak smile.

"what's up double yang," he said before letting out a yawn.

"i'm good, single jian," yangyang retorted with a grin. "you look out of it."

"oh yeah, i came back home too late, and my ma told my arse off in thai for forty minutes, so i barely slept," jian responded. off yangyang's look, he added, "yeah, i was counting."

he moved out the way of the doorway to let yangyang inside the warm house. it was utter chaos, chaos that he learned to get used to in the lu household. three little kids running everywhere, a tv with the volume too high blasting some thai show with chinese subtitles, complete with jian's ma screaming at her three kids to stop running. jian sighed, looking more tired than ever.

to escape the loud noise, they went to jian's bedroom and make sure to lock the door to keep everyone else out. jian's family was fairly big — his ba, who never seemed to be at home due to work, his ma, who stayed at home and made the best food you could ever taste, and lastly, his three troublemaking triplet brothers, jia, jie, and jin. the easiest why to tell them apart was that jia wore glasses, jie always has a bandaid on his nose, and jin... is jin.

"so... honghui was still there?" jian asked, as if he could read yangyang's mind.

there was no point in trying to change the subject. jian would answer whatever else yangyang had to say only to revert back to what they were talking about before. so, he retorted, "yeah. i thought he'd been left."

"hm," jian nodded, running a hand through his already messy hair. he barely ever combed it unless it was for work, which explains why he's always sporting a snapback. "why don't i cheer you up? what do you wanna do?"

"i dunno," yangyang answered halfheartedly.

"hunting for the best boardwalk fries?" jian suggested with a grin.

that was something yangyang would never turn down, but he usually did the tradition of searching for the tastiest fries at the boardwalk with kun and he really didn't want to think of him right at the current moment. "hmm... no. something else."

"head to the donut shop to pay mingli a visit?" jian tried. "he always gives us free donuts."

free donuts did sound good. after yangyang agreed to that, they took jian's ma's car all to the small town where the donut shop was located. the town seemed as if it was stuck back in an entirely different decade, with a lot of the shops being rather old-fashioned. after a car ride full of rap music that was lengthened by jian being stopped by almost every stoplight, they pulled up to the donut shop.

they were instantly hit with the sweet smell of the food there as soon as they entered the shop. the only person at the cash register was their good friend, yang mingli, scrolling through his phone instead of actually paying attention to the small ring of the bell above the entrance doors.

"yo li-li!" jian called. "you on break soon?"

their black haired friend looked up, shooting them a smile. "yeah, in a few minutes."

out of everyone in their small friend group, which includes yangyang, jian, mingli, and kun, everyone considers mingli to be the coolest. he has the most piercings on his ears and even has a few tattoos on his arms despite his ma telling him not to get any. to add on, he even has connections to certain people. if you ever need anything, mingli is the right guy to go to for help.

"window seat," yangyang spoke, already heading over to the open seat beside one of the huge windows, the shop name displayed in big letters across it. jian gladly joined him, sitting down on the seat across from him.

as expected, a few minutes passed and mingli joined them, two donuts in hand. "free donuts on the house."

yangyang and jian took the donuts meant for them as mingli sat down at the only open seat at the table. looking around curiously, he eventually asked, "where's kun?"

the happy look on yangyang's face fell a little just by hearing his name. jian quickly answered, "he couldn't come."

they hadn't even bothered to ask him to drive himself over here to pay mingli a quick visit. they both knew honghui would tag along and his presence would just bring yangyang's mood right back into the dumps.