- seven

"what time is it?" a groggy kun asks

yangyang had just woken up due to the sound of his voice. still very much tired, he lazily looks in the direction of the other man. "i don't know."

of course, last night, kun had slept in yangyang's room after yangyang had comforted him about what honghui had said. yangyang had admittedly wanted to cuddle up against him, up against kun's warmth, but he didn't do that. kun has a boyfriend and it isn't him. but, to make it all awkward, kun ended up back hugging him. yangyang ended up waking up and deciding against pushing him away. he liked it.

(until kun eventually let go himself before swapping sides to yangyang's dislike. but it happened!)

kun glances at the small clock on yangyang's nightstand. he squints as he reads the time — 09:00. "i'll cook breakfast. what do you want?"

"french toast?" yangyang replies hopefully. to his delight, kun smiles and nods.

when the older is up and out of his bed, yangyang sits around for a bit longer, taking in what just happened earlier this morning. kun had actually slept in his bed right beside him. he felt like telling jian about it — after he figures out where the hell his phone went and helped kun make breakfast for them.

yangyang finally rolls out of bed and bolts for the kitchen. there, he already sees kun cracking one egg into a bowl. "i'll do the other one!" yangyang says as he happily scrolls over.

"fine by me," kun backs off to let yangyang grab the other one off the napkin. "i'll get the bread. also, take two more eggs out so i can fry them."

"will do, gege!" yangyang retorts with a bright smile. at the same time as he cracks the second egg, his heart swells. this feels like all the other times they've cooked together before honghui walked into their lives. as well as the times he woke up to a nice meal from the older. at that thought, yangyang realises he should attempt cooking a full breakfast himself for kun sometime.

working together as a team to cook eggs went perfectly and the two of them were enjoying a delicious meal at the small dining table. they were pretty much done at this point, their plates nearly wiped clean with little crumbs left behind, of course. yangyang picks up the last bit of french toast with his chopsticks and reaches across the table, holding them to kun's mouth.

"that's yours," kun simply says with a sweet smile. "eat it."

"no, you can have it," yangyang retorts, reaching over enough to press the small bit of french toast against his gege's lips with the cutest smile he could pull off. "please, gege."

"why?" kun questions curiously. yangyang really hoped he'd just take it.

"because i don't want it."

it's really that simple, isn't it?

"alright then," kun finally gives in and takes the french toast into his mouth.

then, the moment is ruined once the front door opens, huang honghui letting himself in. yangyang's heart whips towards the door just as kun's eyes turn as well, honghui's smile immediately fading from his face and his eyes narrow.

yangyang had forgotten honghui owned a spare key to their flat.

"oh, well, good morning, kun," honghui hisses before walking over to the table to attach himself to kun as he chews. "luckily i already ate breakfast at home because i don't see any leftovers."

kun swallows before answering. "sorry, baobei. i didn't think to make more — "

"it's fine, i understand, really," honghui retorts, glaring at yangyang. "it only makes sense to cook for just you and your flatmate, doesn't it?"

"i — " kun looks at yangyang himself and seems to realise what he's getting at. "hey, why wouldn't i cook for yang? if you wanted something too, you could've just texted me."

"i did, actually," honghui says coldly. "i texted you this morning that i was coming over, kun."

"er — sorry, i didn't check my phone," kun mumbles.

"it's okay, baobei. you were probably just distracted," honghui says smoothly before he sends another glare yangyang's way. "we should go eat lunch together. as a date, y'know."

"sure," kun agrees.

yangyang is suddenly reminded of the waterfall, him falling down, feeling the affects of being in love with kun. only for him to meet the sharp rocks at the bottom — kun's relationship with honghui.

honghui's words work and kun's boyfriend smirks with satisfaction when yangyang hurries from his chair and runs out of the kitchen to hide away in his room, letting the tears roll down his cheeks.

****

"fuck honghui," jian says loudly.

yangyang had called jian later after kun left for his date, jian driving him to the doughnut shop mingli worked in to cheer him up with, well, doughnuts. mingli even put a smiley face on one with icing, hoping to see yangyang smile, but it hardly worked.

yangyang looks embarrassed. "aiyah! shut up, jian!"

"mai!" jian shoots back. "i'm not going to shut up if he made my best friend upset!"

"but you're embarrassing me," yangyang whispers, briefly looking around. no one was looking over at them now, but still.

"he's jealous," mingli's deep voice sounds when he walks over, handing jian another doughnut to him. instead of his usual powdered, it's one with chocolate icing, a small pink heart on it. jian blushes before quickly taking a bite out of it. "at least, it sounds like that to me."

yangyang ponders on that. was honghui really jealous of him? but he's the one dating kun! when he looks confused, mingli explains himself.

"he's probably threatened by you," he goes on. "he knows you and kun are close. he mostly likely thinks you're going to steal kun away from him, which, for the record, i would happily enjoy that if you do."

"li," yangyang snaps, shaking his head. "why would i? they're happy."

"hm, okay," jian purses his lips. "well, i believe li-li."

then yangyang remembers. "well, kun did tell me last night that when he told honghui that he was spending time with me, he got madder."

"my point proven!" mingli says proudly. "he's so jealous, it's not even funny!"

"mhm!" jian says before taking another bite of his doughnut. when he swallows, he asks, "is this boston cream?"

"uh-huh," mingli nods and jian smiles. "but, anyways, screw honghui. he sucks."

yangyang doesn't say anything. he can't even pull off a smile. instead, he's merely confused. why is honghui jealous of him? how does he compare to him at all?

when jian drops him off back into his flat, he enters his home with in a bad mood. the light's turned on and the smell of food is thick in the air. yangyang curiously enters the kitchen, seeing a small meal for two on the table. his first thought is that it's for kun and his boyfriend, but he was proven wrong when kun finally arrives.

he looks utterly worn out but he grins at yangyang. "i made you dinner."

yangyang's heart swells and he can barely get himself to let out a thank you.