- eleven

"you just leave — again — without telling me!" honghui snaps

"you just leave — again — without telling me!" honghui snaps. "you can't keep doing that, kun!"

of course, kun expected to be scolded by his boyfriend. to be fair, he did leave him again without much of any word to check on yangyang and make his day better. honghui shoves him away harshly, only to get right back up in his face to scream at him. thankfully, the car park was pretty much empty and still is after honghui dragged him here.

"i'm your boyfriend, y'know, not yangyang!" honghui continues. "what? do you kiss him like i kiss you? are you in love with him — "

"shut up, hong," kun hisses. "i never said that. i've been spending all my time with you and basically none with my own friends ever since we started dating. just because i spend time with my own flatmate doesn't mean i'm cheating on you with him!"

the anger that overtakes him is... out of the ordinary for him. usually, kun tries not to yell at someone and calm down the situation in the best way he can. but now, with his own boyfriend throwing accusations at him and yangyang... it just makes his blood boil.

"that's the thing," honghui lets out a weird, high-pitched laugh. "he's your roommate, kun. you don't need to blow me off just to see him when you'll see him regardless. you don't need to keep leaving me just to spend time with him, you know — "

"you're just accusing me again," kun fires back. "if you don't trust me, then this isn't going to work out. if you're going to keep being jealous of yangyang for whatever reason and keep excluding him, then this isn't going to work out!"

honghui's awful grin fades. "what? you aren't breaking up with me, are you?"

"we just need a break," kun says firmly. "i'm not going to let you treat my own friend like that and not say anything about it. again, we need a break, hong."

"but, kun, i — " honghui whispers.

"i don't want to hear it," kun snaps.

"fine! i'll just take a bus home!" honghui then screams. kun doesn't look fazed.

"good. be my guest."

then, kun turns around and leaves.

****

yangyang had wondered where kun went when he left his stuffed cat animal with him. he didn't even say anything. yangyang pats the little thing's head, staring right into the two small black things on its face meant to represent eyes with a small smile. it was extremely adorable.

"so, you can kun just went to the arcade, right?" jian asks suddenly.

"yeah," yangyang gives him a confused look. "where else would we have gone?"

he smiles bashfully again. he feels so giddy still after that. the sound of kun's laughter and his smile along with the sound of the surrounding games being played was still fresh within his mind. jian couldn't help but nudge yangyang playfully.

"i'm sorry, it's just the fact that you're in love with him is so obvious," jian giggles, feeling mingli's hand come to rest on his shoulder.

"aiyah," yangyang reaches out to playfully swipe at him and jian dodges, lightly bumping into mingli. mingli then takes the chance to wrap his arms around the other, happily resting his chin on jian's shoulder instead.

"kun and yangyang, sitting in a tree — " mingli starts jokingly before seeing yangyang's glare, only for his friend to smile again.

gosh, yangyang's never felt this fuzzy before. it's a nice feeling. then, he looks towards the entrance of the pretzel shop and sees kun come back, looking off. he smiles yangyang, however, though weakly. as soon as he reaches him, he immediately pulls him into a hug.

"gege!" yangyang says in surprise. "i didn't — "

"can we head back? i need to clear my mind," kun mumbles into the crook of his neck.

"huh? what happened?" yangyang questions softly.

jian and mingli's smiles fade away as well, clearly listening in even if the words kun was saying was meant for yangyang and yangyang alone. kun is silent for a bit, pulling away.

"me and honghui are taking a break from each other," he whispers. "let's just go home, alright?"

yangyang didn't think he would hear those words any time soon. not at all.

****

kun didn't talk the entire drive back to their flat. he kept his eyes firmly on the road, gripping the steering wheel tightly, his lips curled downwards into a frown. yangyang glanced at him every now and then, not sure what to even say to him.

honghui and kun were taking a break. they weren't exactly broken up yet, but it could happen. yangyang shouldn't wish for it to happen, but it definitely could. nothing wrong with thinking about the obvious possibilities.

when they got home, kun was quick to let them into the flat before storming off to the bathroom and shutting the door behind him. yangyang watched it happened in utter confusion and worry — was kun okay?

he doesn't hear from him again until when yangyang finally decided to take a shower himself when kun stops him, lightly tugging on his arm. "can we talk, yang?"

yangyang turns his head to meet his eyes. he can't help but give in by nodding. then, kun leads him to the living room, where they take seats on the couch. then, kun takes a deep breath before talking. "i'm sorry about honghui."

"sorry about — " yangyang starts but kun continues.

"he came off as... very suspicious and jealous of you for no reason," kun sighs heavily again. "he kept accusing me of cheating on him with you. it was so weird. ever since we started dating, i barely ever saw jian and mingli anymore and i barely hung out with you, yang. i — i was fed up with it quick. i — i — i just got so offended when he accused you of being a bad person as well, since he said i was, y'know....

"plus, the excluding you thing, getting even more mad at me because i was hanging out with you," kun went on. "he was so unnecessarily jealous of you and i can't figure out why."

yangyang lets those words sink in. hasn't his friends been saying the exact same thing? "oh."

"yeah, i just need to think about it," kun mumbles. "i need to think about it a lot. again, i'm sorry about honghui and how he is to you. you really don't deserve it, yang."

then, they're hugging again. yangyang finds himself nuzzling into kun's dark hair, inhaling its scent. kun smells nice, though this isn't the right time to be thinking about that.

moments like these is what kun does for him, and in turn, yangyang does the same for him.