- five

the sand is warm beneath yangyang's feet as he walks forward towards the calming noise of the ocean

the sand is warm beneath yangyang's feet as he walks forward towards the calming noise of the ocean. he hears jian's and mingli's loud voices in the distance, but the ocean easily drowns them out. the beach still remains the best place to go just for the sake of it. the feeling of sand between his toes is all too familiar, the smell of the nearby ocean is a smell that makes yangyang feel at home. the beach is a place that made so many good memories.

excluding a certain memory, of course. but there's no need thinking about honghui in the first place.

"hey yang," yangyang's attempt at tuning out voices is ruined by kun's voice sounding over the waves, but he couldn't be mad. it's kun — his angel, he daresay. "you okay?"

yangyang shoots him a reassuring smile, turning around fully to face him. "yeah, why wouldn't i be?"

"oh, you're just standing off alone from everyone else," kun says airily. "though i totally understand," he hides his giggle with a hand. "jian and mingli are being awfully loud, as usual. aish, i miss hanging out with you guys."

"we missed you too," yangyang says softly. i missed you the most.

"anyways," kun starts to walk forward until he's finally standing in the salty water, he just barely leans down, letting his hand get wet as it goes underwater. "we came to have fun, right?"

the last thing yangyang sees his kun's smirk before he feels cold water soak his shirt. in reaction, he yelps and jumps away, nearly stumbling and falling butt-first onto the hand. "what the heck?"

kun just laughs, being quick to avoid a retaliation from a furious yangyang. for a few minutes, it was a continuous back and forth splash fight, yangyang keeping to just the edge of the shore while slamming down on the waves to make sure kun was decently soaked while the older kept to staying in the ocean, wet hair sticking to his forehead as he showed off his charming smile that makes yangyang sworn. being surrounded entirely by water, he had more of an advantage.

kun sent a rather big one yangyang's way, ending up striking him right in the face. yangyang spits out seawater that made it into him mouth, quickly drying off his hands to wipe his stinging eyes clean. he hears a concerned kun go, "shit, i'm sorry. i shouldn't have — "

but yangyang doesn't want to make him feel bad. clearly not upset in the slightest, he sends water flying at kun with a kick of his legs, kun shielding his own face with both of his hands, though his attempt proved rather useless. his hair got even more wet, if that was possible. when most of the water returns back down into the ocean, kun turns his face back towards yangyang and they both smile at each other. then, kun starts giggling.

"you scared me for a second — " kun starts to say before a furious jian comes stumping up along with an amused-looking mingli.

his dark hair is full of sand, also made obvious by jian scratching his hair with a huff. "aiyah! splash battle without us?"

"sorry!" yangyang says quickly. he wouldn't dare voice out loud that he would rather be alone with kun and just play around with him to make up for all those times honghui ruined it. but to be fair, they both invited jian and mingli to come along and had no plans to exclude them. that would be rude.

jian is quick to tell kun to be on yangyang's team, giving his best friend a wink before joining mingli, who happily shoves yangyang into the water along with kun. when he stumbles, yangyang is quick to grab onto kun's arm to steady himself, his eyes slowly trailing upwards to meet the other's. kun just smiles at him and yangyang shyly smiles back.

but the moment has little time to last when jian start the battle, declaring it by splashing salty ocean water their way. then, it went back and forth, back and forth, all four of them getting wetter and wetter. but then, jian and mingli decide to send a rather huge one together, making yangyang try his hardest to defend himself from the incoming attack. but it utterly fails, causing him to lose his balance and fall right into kun.

he's quick to catch him in his arms as he ends up falling back into the ocean from the force. yangyang's eyes had closed shut at the noise but slowly opened them, seeing the view underneath. hands on kun's chest, yangyang looks down at kun with wide eyes. kun blinks once before he's smiling again, though his hands on still on yangyang's back. the younger of the two's breath hitches. oh god.

should he thank jian and mingli or curse them? he can't even tell.

kun barely seems to make any attempt to get yangyang off of him, simply sitting up while still holding his best friend close to him. before he can even say anything to yangyang with that extremely happy look upon his face, a phone not too far away from them starts to ring.

"who's — " jian starts to say but an annoyed kun is quick to say, "that's mine. i know it is."

yangyang is quick to move off of him, his hands and knees landing in the water. for a few minutes, they returned to their blanket to dry off in the sun while kun stood off not too far away, talking to no other than honghui. of course, when didn't his boyfriend ruin something?

" — if they like those flowers, then get them," kun says softly and his voice can hardly be heard over the waves. yangyang isn't exactly trying to listen in, anyways. "pink is a pretty colour — white's fine too, it's totally up to you, babe."

oh, what yangyang would do to hear 'babe' coming from kun's mouth and it was directed at him. but at this point, his angel, his light, was way out of his reach and in the clutches of huang honghui. then, comes his bout of putting himself down — maybe if yangyang was on honghui's level, perhaps he would he dating kun. he just wishes that would've happened instead.

" — yeah, get white then," kun concludes and he looks relived. "you know i went to the beach to hang out with my mates today. i didn't want to be bothered — i'll see you at your place tonight, okay? love you, hong."

then, he finally hangs up with a sigh.

"gosh, your boyfriend is fucking annoying," mingli snorts and yangyang silently agrees. even if he isn't here, it feels like he is.

"he's not bad," kun says defensively.

but yangyang remembers him calling honghui clingy. he sounded so annoyed on the call with him yesterday and today....

"but to be fair, maybe he is," kun adds and yangyang looks surprised. "but anyways, back to our splash battle or do we go ahead and eat lunch?"

"lunch!" yangyang says happily. now he's back in a good mood.