The hard path to freedom

Y/n pov:

We were running for what felt like hours, I've never ran as much as I did in the past week before. Thomas lead the group at the front while Minho and I ran behind to keep newt company. I kept glancing down at his leg, his limp was becoming more and more obvious. By the look in his eyes, he was in a lot of pain, but he kept his face straight and showed no signs of weakness.

We eventually came to a stop and ducked behind a wall. Thomas glanced around the corner and quickly turned back, clutching his spear for dear life. "Is it a grevier?" Chuck asked.

"Just one. Nothing we can't handle." Thomas replied, unsure of his answer.

"Chuck, I want you to hold onto this." Minho said, handing chuck the key to our freedom.

"Don't worry, I'll protect you." Teresa told the little boy while tying up her hair.

"Me too." I said, griping my knife tightly.

"Alright guys, we get out of here or we die trying." Thomas said.

"LETS GO!" I yelled as we all ran to the grevier. It turned to us and started attacking. Boys were flung left and right while the others fought back. One of it's metal arms knocked the key out of Chuck's hand and sent it rolling to the edge of the cliff. Teresa and I ran to chuck as he grabbed the metal cylinder. We then saw a bunch of greviers climbing up the cliff and we bolted to the exit.

"Thomas! There's a code! Eight numbers!" Teresa yelled.

"Minho! What's the sequence?" Thomas yelled.

"What" Minho yelled back.

"The sequence to the maze."

"7 1 5 2 6 4 8 3"

Teresa typed in the code and the screen turned green. The walls were falling and making to boys back up to the door. Thomas then threw his spear at the last grevier's head and the doorway was sealed off, enclosing us in darkness. I felt a hand grab mine and I was pulled into newt's chest, bringing me comfort.

Teresa opened a back door that lead us into a dimly lit hallway. We walked down it and I could see how many boys we lost. We ran into the maze with about forty and now we had fifteen at most. Everyone then stopped at a door with a green sign above it saying "exit". "Really?" Fry sarcastically asked.

"Funny, we've been looking for a way out for years and when we finally do find a way out, it's a door that quite literally says exit." I said, everyone slightly chuckling at my comment.

We walked through and saw loads of dead bodies covering the floor of a computer room. Everyone looked around until Thomas pushed a blinking red button. A lady with blonde hair appeared on a screen, she had a white lab coat and her hair was pulled into a neat bun.

"Hello, my name is doctor Ava Paige."
(I'm not writing her long speech because I couldn't be bothered to.) she then put a gun to her head and said "remember, WICKED Is good." She then pulled the trigger, but newt covered my eyes so I wouldn't see anything horrifying.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Fry asked.

"She said we were important." Newt said, still clutching my waist.

"I tell you you're important all the time." I said to him and kissed his cheek.

"Let's just get out of here." Thomas said. We were about to leave when we heard a gun cock behind us. I turned around and saw Gally with tears in his eye and a gun pointed at us.

"We can't leave." He said, holding back tears.

"Gally, we did it. We're free." Thomas said with his hands up in surrender.

"Free? You think we're free out there?" Gally scoffed.

I only then noticed the veins on his neck. Gally had been stung. I moved towards him and was a few feet away from Gally. "You're not thinking straight. Please just put the gun down. I can help you.

Newt's pov:

Y/n had moved in front of Gally and tried to calm him down. I glanced at Minho and saw him take a spear out of one of the glader's hands and held it tightly. He nodded towards Y/n and I moved closer to her. "I belong to the maze. We all do." Gally said as he was about to pull the trigger. I pushed Y/n to the ground as Minho threw the spear and it landed in gally's chest. A gunshot went out and I turned to Thomas, relieved that he was okay.

Chuck on the other hand wasn't, he had been shot. Y/n got out from under me and cried into gally's dead body. I just rubbed her back, unsure of what to say. The doors then opened up and men in suits grabbed everyone and lead them outside. It took three men to get both Y/n and Thomas off their loved one's dead bodies but they were thrown into the helicopter with the rest of us.

Y/n curled into my chest and cried her heart out until she fell asleep. We had no idea what was going to happen when the chopper landed but we were finally safe. We were free from the horrors of the maze. I eventually fell asleep with my head on top of Y/n's, dreaming of our future.