The grevier pancake

Y/n pov:

"Absolutely not. No." Minho argued.

"Please. Just this one time. Please." I begged. I really wanted to go out to the maze with them.

"No. We can't have non runners going into the maze." He retaliated.

"Mhmm, sure." I countered. I locked eyes with Zart, Winston, Fry and Thomas who all looked to the ground in shame. "Please let me come with you. I'm dying to get out of here. Please Minho."

"Fine..." Minho caved. "But you have to keep up and not go off track, understand."

"Yes, sir." I'm finally going into the maze. Fry handed me a sheathed knife and said it was for protection. I thanked him and tied the strap around my leg. We all took off running into the maze.

It was beautiful on the other side of the wall. Ivy climbed up the walls that reached to the sky, there were scratches all over the floor and splotches of gooey slime everywhere. Gross or not, I felt free. We ran for ages and took so many twists and turns. We finally stopped at a closed wall with a dead grevier half sticking out of it.

"That's disgusting." Zart said, breaking the silence.

"Thank you, Captain obvious." I sarcastically replied.

"Wait, there's something in there." Thomas spoke out of no where.

"You mean besides the grevier pancake." Fry said, slightly disgusted by the grevier guts all over the ground.

Minho walked over to the wall and stuck his hand into the gap. It made a gross squelching noise as his hand moved passed the gunk. Suddenly the arm that was sticking out moved at us and I screamed, fearing that it was still alive.

"I thought you said it was dead?" Fry said, verbalising everyone's thoughts.

"Was it reflex?" Zart asked.

"You hope." Winston replied.

Thomas walked closer and grabbed the metal arm and tried to pull it out. I walked up to him and helped. Soon enough the other boys grabbed ahold of the arm and we got it out. A mini avalanche of guts and organs came out of the wall and I had to stop myself from gagging.

Minho grabbed what looked like the heart and pulled something out of it. It was a metal cylinder with cords sticking out one end and a blinking red light at the other. "Interesting..." Minho murmured.

"Should we start heading back now?" I asked.

"Yeah, I don't want to meet this guy's friends." Fry said.

"She's right, it's getting late." Minho added. Thomas put the contraption in Minho's backpack and we all ran back to the glade.

When we got there, chuck was waiting for us, fear and consern plastered on his face. "What's wrong, chuck?" I asked.

"Gally called a keeper meeting. He sounds really upset too." Chuck replied.

I glanced at the other boys and we all ran off to the council hut. What's with all the running today? When we all walked through the door, newt and Gally hugged me like they haven't seen me in years. "What we're you thinking? Going into the maze?" Newt yelled.

"Calm down, newt. I'm fine, see." I said, spreading my arms out to show that I'm okay.

"Last I checked, he's not a keeper." Gally said, gesturing for Thomas to get out.

"He stays." Minho said. "How could you have a keeper meeting without us?"

"Well, you all went into the maze and the doors are going to shut soon so I had to." Gally replied.

"Why did you guys go into the maze anyway?" Newt asked.

"We found something, it came from the grevier I killed." Thomas said, handing newt the metal cylinder.

"WCKD." Newt said to himself, analysing the object. "These are the same letters we get on our supplies."

"Whoever sent us here must have made the greviers." I said. "This is the first real clue we have ever found and it could be our ticket home."

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" Gally asked. "He's trying to convince us to completely abandon our rules. This shank...needs to be punished."

"What?" I protested.

"No, he's right. One night in the pit and no food." Newt said.

"Wha-what about Y/n? She went into the maze as well?" Thomas objected.

"Yes, but she's second in command right now and the glade needs her and the keepers to be present if anything happens." Newt replied. "Now let's make this official. Starting tomorrow, you're a runner."

I gave a little yelp of delight and gave Thomas a hug. He hesitated but replied the gesture. Gally then stormed off with Jeff and Fry following him.