-𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘-

•´¯'•. . .•´¯'•

Like a flip of a switch, Childe was conscious again, but now with a pounding headache that was resting in his skull like a non-stop rhythm he couldn't break. Childe didn't want to open his eyes, and would much rather be enveloped by this warm feeling around him; he buried his face more into the warmth. Wrapping his arms closer around the man who was still holding him, after a moment, Childe finally cracked his eyes open to take a glance of who was holding him. It was Zhongli, who had dozed off midway of reading a book titled 'The Rock Encyclopedia.'

If Childe was reading something like that, he probably would've fallen asleep, too, but for different reasons— because he knew Zhongli was tired because of him.

Had Zhongli been here the entire time, letting Childe use him as a bed? And Zhongli was such an early riser, too, so Childe wondered if Zhongli just continued to sleep since he couldn't get up without risk of waking his boyfriend up.

A minute later and Zhongli woke up, blinking a couple times before he noticed Childe awake. "You're awake. I'm glad." He mentioned with a tired smile. "There's some water and sandwiches in the fridge if you're hungry.." and he began to sit his head up a bit.

But seeing how tired the other was over him, only put a crack in Childe's heart and he felt ashamed.

It should be Childe taking care of Zhongli. Whether it had been assuring they had fun together, or cooking for him, giving him money, or even in bed, Childe always gave— to receive was something he wasn't used to.

"Gee, Sensei.. you shouldn't have.." Childe mumbled with a weak chuckle that barely escaped his parched throat. But he was already starting to crawl off Zhongli. "But I need to go.. Sorry again—"

However Zhongli took Childe's wrist.

"You're still hungover and it's barely eight-o-clock in the morning. Going home now isn't a good idea. Rest until you're better—"

"Damn it! I'm fine!" Childe snapped.

And then there was an overwhelming moment of silence that overtook the room.

"Childe—" Zhongli tried to speak up, but Childe couldn't hold it back, and he broke. He broke down into such embarrassed and angry tears. Maybe the drinking is what finally set him off to the edge. Because his sobs were sloppy and extra emotional, and he couldn't hold back anything before it cracked and burst out like a waterfall of emotions.

"How can everyone just turn their back on you?!" Childe cried out with exasperation. "Your fans— how are they not inspired by what you've done and so easy to hate you!?" It didn't make any sense to Childe. Not in the slightest. Not when he was so devoted to his idol since first becoming a fan.

" I'm so.. so....!" he couldn't even finish his words, he just pushed himself off of Zhongli, got off the couch, heading to the door, but in his hungover and upset state, he couldn't make it past the hallway before stumbling against the wall. Zhongli hurried behind him, but hesitated to touch him- worried Childe may only grow more upset like when Zhongli took his wrist a minute ago. So all he did was keep prepared to catch Childe in case he lost his balance.

"I'm so mad on your behalf, Sensei.. I'm so angry with the people who are talking behind your back and treating you like shit." Childe muttered, his tone cold as ice as he wiped his eyes and turned around to face his boyfriend. "Let me tell them off for you!—"

But before he could go on, Zhongli put a finger to his lips, silencing him.

"Their rumors and backtalk do not get to me. Do you believe I would allow such silly little things to affect me?" He asked with a slightly amused smile, which ended up reassuring Childe- who suddenly felt a bit embarrassed for assuming Zhongli wouldn't be able to handle this. He's an actor— a celebrity for God's sake. Zhongli was probably a pro at ignoring backlash. Because Childe truly believed in the depths of his heart that Zhongli had no flaws, was not alone, and was stronger than anyone else.

"Well, do you?" Zhongli repeated and Childe slowly shook his head. Finally Zhongli really smiled and he leaned in, kissing Childe's forehead. He let his lips linger for a minute before slowly pulling back. It was such a sad kiss, it almost felt like Zhongli was telling Childe goodbye.

.
.
.

As Childe and Zhongli left to head for the studio to film for the day, once more were they unkindly greeted by 'fans'  who were at the gates shouting at Zhongli. Yelling out questions like "How could you betray us ?!" Or "Liar!"  And anything inbetween. All his fans felt betrayed simply over the rumor of Zhongli kissing another man in a movie. It didn't help when the story of him being assaulted by a fan, and Childe being harassed and stalked, was now being twisted into something to make Zhongli look bad. Now people were saying that Zhongli accused an innocent fan of hitting him with a pipe because he was infuriated by the constant fan letters and gifts from her. The headline: 'Does Actor Zhongli Actually Has A Dark Side?'  had been trending since the actually incident.

In the limousine, Zhongli was unable to look at Childe. All this trouble was because of Zhongli, after all. What could he do? Tell Childe one day this would also perhaps be his future? And Zhongli only knew a group of hyped and angry fans could turn more dangerous.

How could he bear to see Childe go through this next?

"Hey. Are you okay?" Childe asked, putting his hand on Zhongli's. The contact made senior actor look back at his lover, whom wore a face of worry and unease. It stung Zhongli's heart to see Childe look worried or distressed over him.

"I'm alright, Childe. I think today will just be a long day." Was all he knew what to say as he gave Childe a small hand squeeze.

•´¯'•. . .•´¯'•