Chapter 44

Lucian left saying he needed to take care of a few things and I just lay in my bed, daydreaming about him. I had Irene to thank for everything that happened. I wished she was here, I felt lonely without her.

Was she alright? What if something really bad is happening to her in this moment and I am just laying here in my bed?

"My Lady?"

Startled I sat up and turned my head.

"Irene!" I almost jumped out bed.

She smiled.

"Where were you? You made me worried."

She looked at me confused.

"You were worried about me?" She asked.

"Yes why not?"

"I am just a maid My Lady?"

"I...I thought we were friends."

Lord, I hated this. I knew that it never worked to be friends with a maid. I had already tried with Lydia and Ylva and they would always say the same 'A Lady and a maid can never be friends'. They were right. I was naive to think that.

How could they see me as a friend when they had to serve me all the time?

"We are if that's what you want, My lady?"

I looked at her surprised and she gave me a smile.

"Could you call me Hazel then?" I asked hopeful.

"Yes, Hazel."

Finally!! After so many years I got a friend. I felt like crying.

"So what happened? I thought something had happened to you. That maybe the bloodthirsty king had taken you."

"No, I am perfectly fine."

"Then why are the maids saying they don't know you?"

She looked around and seemed to contemplate about something.

"Can I tell you a secret now that we are friends?" She asked approaching me.

"Yes,"

"I am not a maid Hazel. I am just a witch."

I blinked a few times confused by what I heard.

"I came here to help you and your husband." She continiúed.

"Help us? Why?"

"I can't tell you much, but I need you to believe me."

"Believe you? You just lied about being a maid. I trusted you Irene."

"I am sorry." She said and she looked sorry. "But there was no other way I could have spoken to you. I really need you to believe me."

"Why would I?"

"Because you don't want your husband to die?"

"How do you know Lucian?"

Suddenly a thought popped into my head.

"Is he a witch too?" I whispered and then I thought he couldn't be. Why did I even think of that? Witches didn't have red eyes or did they?

"Your husband... is something very powerful that has never existed before. If he uses his powers in the wrong way he could destroy himself."

"What are you saying?" I asked confused.

Grabbing my arms she sat me down on the edge of the bed.

"Hazel, do you remember I told you magic is not a thing to use easily, that it has consequences?"