10.

۞ | | ۞

I was sitting with my legs thrown up on a table as I had done when Edward woke up from his transformation. My arms were crossed and I looked rather unbothered, almost as if I didn't care or as if I was absolutely uninterested in what was about to happen. Of course that wasn't true, I simply looked this way since it calmed the human mind down the most. If I looked calm and as if this wasn't so much of an importance or so much of an unnatural occurance no one would get riled up or more anxious. Rather on the contrary, it would calm and soothe the stressed mind down.

If I could chew a gum without it tasting like dirt I probably would. My eyes were laying on the clock on my left wrist, a clock made out of gold and leather. It was one of the first things I had bought for myself with my own money, one of the first things I could be truly proud over achieving. 

Carlisle was standing in one of the corners, his arms also crossed as he almost lazily leaned against the wall. He too mirrored my relaxed and slightly bored body language, having learned to look calm even if he wasn't. It was a thing he had learned from watching me, one of the few things I had infected him with. I always wore the same calm face that always screamed to be unbothered by everthing, he had adopted that from me most of the times and everything simply became so much more uncomplicated. People cared less about you, if you were insulted the insulter got embarrassed since you didn't react and calming people down became so much more easy as well. 

Edward wasn't in the house, he had been stubborn about not attending her upwaking and we had accepted his unwillingness to be here. Instead he had gone out hunting, wanting to pass the time in such a way instead. I guessed he didn't like the thoughts of a stressed and panicked newborn waking up, not that he had heard them before though I suspected he had an idea of what it would look like. 

"So, how long do you think it'll be?" Carlisle looked towards me and I lifted my eyes from my watch towards him, thinking about it for a few moments before I replied. "10 bucks on three minutes."

"Alright, I'm game. Though I bet 15 bucks on two minutes."

I let out a hum and looked back down on the watch, my eyes following the quick ticking second hand itching towards the full minute mark with each step. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. One minute passed rather slowly, it almost felt like the minute hand had intentionally moved slower than it used to do. Once the hand passed the one minute mark I held one finger up and lowered it after, letting dad know it had passed one minute. The golden minute hand soon passed the half minute stage, ticking towards the nine before it met the 10, 11 and 12. Two minutes had passed. I held two fingers up now.

Her heart began to beat quicker than before, as it had done to all of us when we had completed the days of wait in excruciating pain. Carlisle got slight hope in his eyes, he wanted to win the bet of course. The minute hand slowly made its way towards the half minute mark again, Mrs Anne's heart still raging quicker and quicker with each second. I looked up from my clock for a second, it was just mere seconds before she would wake up. The question was how many seconds was that?

The hand met the nine once more... Her heart beating quicker and quicker, rapider and rapider. It met the 10, the 11 and I looked up at Carlisle with a smirk. I was going to win this. He looked at me and I looked down at the clock, one more second and it should pass the 12. Her heart stopped beating at exactly the 12 mark and I pumped my hands up in the air, pointing at Carlisle with a laugh. "I won!"

"Bullocks." He muttered his words out and handed me 15 bucks, not happy about his loss of pocket money.

The woman's eyes shot open and she sat straight up in less than a second. Her blood red eyes trailing around the room to land on me at first to later turn to Carlisle, and that's where they stopped. They stopped on him, not moving to anything else but only freezing in place almost as if she had been hypnotised. His eyes were stuck to her's as well and I began to wonder if the time around me had frozen in some sort of way. My eyebrows furrowed as I listened to the forest outside, the birds that had chirped a second ago had gone quiet. It was uncomfortably quiet.