8.

۞ | | ۞

It has been three years since Edward became a part of our coven, and it had all been coming along nicely. Well, as nicely as it possibly could. Edward was still new on everything, he wasn't really too keen on the idea of immortality and the gift we had found out about just hours after his transformation only made this life harder for him. The pain of constantly hearing everyones thoughts without a break has gotten to him, although he is getting a lot better at blocking it all out. 

Carlisle and I were currently working at a hospital located in Ohio while Edward was staying at our current residence. The Spanish flu pandemic stopped a year ago, but I could still remember all the death I had seen during that time. From children at the age of three, to fully grown men and women at the age of 40. It was quite strange because no one of the elders died, it seemed like this sickness only targeted young and healthy people which was highly unlikely in any other flue or sickness that has ever been reported. 

I had finally been able to lead a surgery for the first time in 58 years, without actually having the urge to drink any blood. Of course Carlisle was with me the whole time to prevent me from doing anything irrational or dumbfounded. However he trusted me to do a good job and so I did. I had learned a new way of self discipline, a new way of fightning the fire in my dry throat. I supposed that discipline could have been a thing I should have been able to master a long time ago. With the thought of my traning and upraising discipline wasn't such a hard thing for me to learn, but it seemed like this kind of discipline was a lot different from the one I already had. 

Though I didn't have anything against a slight challenge, on the contrary I thought challenges to be quite entertaining.

-

I was running my daily check-up when I got called in by a code Omega in operation room 316. Code Omega stands for Extreme blood loss or life threatening situations. I started running as fast as I could at human speed, as fast as my legs could take me without making everything around me haze into a blur of unwanted mist. This wasn't the time for hasty mistakes nor stress. I was in the wrong floor, by four stories at that, so no pressure. I had no time for lifts so I threw open the emergency door and started climbing the stairs, it was a rather depressing staircase with dark grey walls and white steps, it was a steriotypical hospital. Running three steps at a time I made it to operation room 316 in only 27 seconds, must be a new record. 

I could see Carlisle getting prepped and ready for surgery putting on his long sleeve gloves, getting his cap on and getting help with his long apron. I quickly made my way towards the sinks and started to scrubb my hands with soap and my nails to get them clean, I had done this so many times I had lost count. The never ending scrubbing took a while to not complain over, how you needed to twist and turn your hands over in every possible angle to get them fully clean. But once you had done it so many times you no longer needed to think about it you naturally forgot to complain.

Turning to the nurses in the small room I asked for help with my equipment and clothing, it was things I couldn't do myself, at least not if I wanted to keep my clean hands. A nurse came forward and helped me thread on the gown onto my arms and chest before she began to tie it behind my back, tightly knotting it in place with a ribbon. I got a pair of gloves on my hands and a mask specially made for surgery was tied behind my head with four different ribbons. After a few minuntes I was fully clothed and I entered the surgery room where Carlisle already had started stitching up a wound in her head.

I had a slight idea of what her injuries were, but I was not too sure. So I needed a run-up by my dad. He saw the look in my eyes and explained so quickly that only vampire ears could hear what he was mouthing. I gently nodded my head.