1.

۞ | | ۞

Slow and classical music was playing in the large ball room, pairs of men and women were twirling around and dancing with each other. Voices of everyone blended together and created a loud murmur which echoed against the tall walls. It was an autmosphere most most people would have thrived in, the buzz of the people, the enlightment when a man asked a lady for a dance or when the music changed to the more hasty waltzes. Only few souls sat alone with glasses filled with bubbling and swirling liquids, their dresses and suits fitted perfectly to their figures.

The women sat sighing, looking longingly at the girls on the dance floor who wore beaming smiles and faces of pure bliss. They dreamed back to the days when they had once been as young and fair, with faces as round and innocent and eyes as glittering and alert. How they had once quickly swirled around up on the dance floor without needing to worry where to put your feet next, knowing the dances by heart and mind. Their husbands were far too slow to dance like that, they had reached their ages of laziness and were no longer viewing themselves as irrational enough to dare for a dance.

Dresses off all kinds were flying around as everyone on the dance floor flowed around in perfect harmony. Silk of the finest quality in deep green so dark you almost thought it was the colour of charcoal black was reflected in the lights of the alit torches, the torches which gave a beautiul and welcoming hue of orange and dark yellow. Expensive jewelry decorated with both sapphires to match the dark blue dresses but also light crystals shone brightly in the dim light from the fires. The gems made the ladies necks and hairs glitter like thousands of diamonds, thousands like burning stars.

My sisters dark blue dress shone in the candle lights as she danced around with a man I did not know the name of. Her hair was strapped up on her head perfectly and her expensive jewlery sparkled in the thousands of lights. A gorgeous smile was painted on her lips and her emerald green eyes looked into the mans brown ones.

I had always adores her eye colour, the way her emerald green eyes could resemble the woods on a summer day. How they sparked in the light of fires like a treasure hidden by pirates, a treasure no one wanted to ever have stolen. Somehow I always managed to get hypnotised by them, not only by their outstanding beauty but also by their grace and kindness. She was so pure, so innocent and no one could possibly hold a single grudge against her.

Dancing was a thing I didn't necessarily enjoy, spinning around in circles to music was a thing I found rather pointless. The thought of having a man's hands on my waist disgusted me, having another person touch me. I understood the appeal from the many ladies eyes, how you got to pass the time with another man, talking and sometimes laughing. But I myself couldn't find the joy in it.

Looking up at the dark sky outside of the meter high windows I felt a small smile graze on my lips. The dark sky and stars were always a thing I had found calm in. They were a constant reassurance of ensemblence. They always came back, even if the heavy clouds were concealing their true beauty for the human eye. How they danced under the presence of the moon intoxicated me. Their constant twinkling and moving, it made me feel like I could always move with them.

The stars were a natural beauty, a thing someone couldn't find much of in the dark world we found ourselves living in. Ever since I had been a small child my fascination had always reached out to the breathtaking dots in the sky, how they every night managed to rise upon the firmament that had once been occupied with the blazing sun. Their eyecatching way of twinkling had always made me smile, even if it was in the moment of most desolate. They had always caught my full attention, even if it was at night when I was supposed to be asleep or even at dawn when they managed to linger around. I supposed they were my only comfort in this world. I didn't have much to lean on, to confide in. But even how silly it must sound the stars always came with reassurance, reassurance that it would alright even if it took a year or two.