Camilo: Friends?

Possible TW: Aggressive behavior, alcohol influence

This is a part 2 to Rivals

As you helped the Madrigals rebuild their home beside Camilo, you began to wonder whether the family was as bad as you'd initially thought. You'd been nothing but antagonistic towards Camilo and the rest of the Madrigals, but they'd done nothing aggressive in return. Sure, the shapeshifter was a little obnoxious, but he'd said his only motivation was to be your friend.

"You're pretty quiet for someone who's always insulting me," Camilo remarked, pulling you out of your stupor. "What's going on in that tiny brain of yours?"

"Ha, ha," you muttered, aggressively digging into the ground with a shovel. "And I was just thinking you might not be that bad."

"Might not?" Camilo demanded good-naturedly. "I am a delight! Ask anyone, they'll tell you!"

You rolled your eyes, not responding. It wouldn't be wise to feed his already overinflated ego.

He didn't get the hint that you didn't want to talk. "So, how's your dad?"

"Fine," you said curtly. "He's probably drunk enough not to notice that I'm gone."

He grimaced, then averted his eyes. "Oh."

You continued digging, leaning out of the way as a little kid ran by holding two hammers and a coffee cup. "Tell me about your family," you said suddenly after five minutes.

That surprised him so much, he dropped his shovel again. "Really?"

"It seems that I've been seeing you through a biased mindset my whole life," you responded carefully. "It might be nice to get more than one opinion before deciding what mine is."

He grinned cheekily. "Okay! My prima did something similar to this a couple days ago." He took a breath and began rattling off different members of his family and what they used to be able to do.

You listened attentively, noting the difference between Camilo's description and your fathers'. When Camilo spoke, his voice was alight with excitement and affection for his family, listing several things he liked about one person before moving on to the next in a rush.

Your father wasn't like that at all. He'd taught you to identify the Madrigals with how he saw them. 'She thinks she's perfect', 'She can break your bones if you upset her', and 'He pretends to be someone he's not.'

That last one had been directed towards none other than your companion, who was talking very quickly due to excitement, smiling widely. "...and no one wanted to talk about him for a while, but it looks like that's over since he's back," he said with a shrug. "Seems a bit shady to me, but whatever."

"What were Julieta and Pepa's reactions to him returning?" you asked curiously.

"Oh, they cried," Camilo told you. "It was pretty cool..." he trailed off, looking thoughtful. "It made my mom really happy."

"Mama's boy," you murmured under your breath, though you were smiling. It was clear with every sentence how much he cared about his family—it was enough to further support your theory that he wasn't a total bag of garbage.

"What was the 'biased mindset' you mentioned earlier?" Camilo asked, creating finger quotes. "Like, what exactly were you told?"

You winced. "Ah, about that..."

"Come on!" he pressed. "I want to hear the dirt! Dolores never tells me anything she hears!"

"Fine," you sighed. "He said that you were a lying, conniving, immature devil who looks at other people's bodies for fun."