Mirabel: Defensora

"The miracle is dying because of you!" Mirabel cried. Abuela faltered, at a loss for words.

As you watched the fallout in silent shock, the walls and floor around you began to break. Panicked, you put your hand against the wall, which shook dangerously.

You regained your balance, and to your horror, Mirabel surged forward—not out of the crumbling house to safety, but onto the roof, reaching for the rapidly melting candle.

You could hear Julieta and Agustín calling after her, begging her to just leave the candle and get out, but the floor underneath you lurched, trying to get you outside.

"No!" you yelled, jumping over the wave of tiles and running for your girlfriend. The casita resisted against you, pulling you toward the doorway. "No!" you yelled again, forcing your way to the ladder that had been created from the casita's own railing. "I can't leave her!"

You managed to get onto the roof, where Mirabel clutched the candle in her scraped hands. She looked at you in horror. "Y/n? Get down!"

"I'm not leaving you up here!" You had to shout to be heard over the cracking of the casita. "Come on!"

You grabbed her wrist, but the roof underneath you gave in, and you and Mirabel fell. The casita did its best—it offered two beams to stop your fall, but that did nothing for the horrible pain you felt when you landed on your leg with a nasty crunch.

You pressed a fist to your mouth to muffle your shriek of agony. "Mirabel?" you whispered. From outside the mess over your head, there was no noise. You could see nothing but dust and broken house pieces.

The Madrigal home was gone.

"Mirabel?" you whispered again, holding back tears. When no answer came, you began to panic. "Mirabel!" You gripped one of the broken beams to pull yourself up, but the pain in your leg made you collapse with a gasp.

Suddenly, the debris covering your head lifted, and Luisa and Isabela stood over you.

"Thank God," Isabela gasped. "Are you okay?"

Your lip trembled. "I landed on my leg pretty hard..."

Luisa took one look at your bent leg and blanched. "Oh, no. Can you stand?"

"No," you said, almost too quiet to be heard.

Isabela stepped forward and helped you up while Luisa moved the debris with difficulty. As soon as she set them aside, she ran off, calling for Mirabel.

"Where's Mirabel?" you asked.

Isabela shook her head, helping you walk. "Our mother saw her a few minutes ago, but she disappeared," she said weakly.

"So she's okay?" That was all you cared about. If something had happened to her...no. You couldn't think about it.

"Y/n?" Julieta gasped as you and Isabela came into view. "Your leg..."

"I'll be fine," you grunted. "I need to find Mirabel—"

"No, you can't," Isabela said firmly, sitting you down. "You're in no condition."

You tried to stand again, but Julieta pushed you down by the shoulders. "Please. We have everyone looking for her now. You need to stay here." She pulled a small vial out of her pocket. "Take this—my gift is gone, but this should help somewhat."

You took the vial in a shaky hand. "I'm so sorry. About everything..."

Julieta swallowed. "Thank you, Y/n."

After what seemed like forever, there were shouts coming from the village. You couldn't believe what they were saying—Mirabel had been found.

You immediately tried to stand, which sent pain shooting up your leg. Julieta helped you walk to the doors, where Mirabel was standing.

She didn't notice you until you crashed into her with a hug. "Don't you ever do that again, idiota."

She wrapped her arms around you, nearly crushing your ribs with the hug. "I'm sorry." She then pulled away to look at you and the state of your leg. "And what were you thinking—climbing onto a broken roof to go after me?"

You glared at her. "I could say the same to you." Then your voice wavered. "I—I thought I lost you."

She shook her head, planting a kiss on your forehead. "Never."

You gave up on the rest of your composure and kissed her full on the mouth. Behind you, Camilo exclaimed "Ugh, get a room!" and then "Ow, Dolores!"

You and Mirabel pulled away. Her face was flushed, but happy. "Oh!" She looked to her mother and her aunt. "There's something you might want to see..."

She held out a hand, and Abuela walked in with a man at her side. Judging from the green outfit, and the gasps of Julieta and Pepa, you realized it was Bruno—the man who went missing after seeing the future.

Julieta and Pepa ran forward to embrace their brother, lifting him off his feet with a surprised look on his face.

Beaming, you gripped Mirabel's hand. "Now your family is together again," you said, leaning against her. "I'm so happy for you."

She smiled, joy making her eyes sparkle. "Thank you, mi sol. You were by my side throughout all of this."

"What, did you expect me to pack up and leave the second I saw trouble?" you asked teasingly. "I don't think so."

"How could I doubt you?" she responded. "Your leg is broken because you wanted to help me." Her voice dipped a little, and she turned her face away from you.

"Hey." You gently directed her face to look at you again. "It was my choice, okay? It wasn't your fault."

She took a breath, then nodded, looking better than she had before.

Suddenly, Luisa came up from behind you and scooped you away.

"Hey!" you shouted indignantly as you were quickly carried off. "Luisa!"

"Sorry, Y/n, but Mirabel needs to work and you're distracting her," Luisa said as Mirabel roared with laughter out of your line of vision. "What you need to do right now is get a brace on that leg of yours."

You crossed your arms. "Fine."

You peeked over Luisa's shoulder to see Mirabel grinning at you; she shrugged, like oh well, and blew a kiss at you.