Mirabel: Boyfriend

In this, the reader is a trans male

I'm sorry if I misinterpret what it's like being trans

(D/n = dead name)

You stood in front of the nursery door, trying to control the trembling in your hands. You'd stood outside this door several times before, but now you stood to change everything.

You're fine, you thought to yourself. You're just going to tell your girlfriend of two years that you're her boyfriend—not her girlfriend.

The wood under your feet nudged you forward gently, but the casita didn't force you to enter the room. It was almost as if it knew how terrified you were to tell Mirabel the truth.

You'd started dating Mirabel when you were both thirteen. Everyone had chuckled at you, saying it wouldn't last because you were young and didn't know what you wanted. But, two years later, you were still going strong.

And now you were about to change a significant detail in your relationship by coming out as a trans boy.

You knew Mirabel was bi and therefore might still like you afterward, but that didn't stop you from being scared.

Taking a breath, you raised your fist to the door, but before you could knock, it was flung open by your girlfriend.

"Oh!" Mirabel looked surprised to see you there. "Hi, D/n!" She threw herself forward and gave you a tight hug. "How are you?"

You tried for a smile that felt more like a grimace. "Mirabel, it's good to see you."

She pulled away from you, looking at you quizzically. "What's wrong?"

Despite your fear, you smiled. Mirabel knew you so well—or so she thought. "I need to talk to you. Could we go inside?" You gestured to the nursery. Mirabel nodded, still confused, and led you into her room.

You two sat on the bed, and you took her hands. "I want you to know that what I'm about to say doesn't affect how I feel about you at all." You took a breath but stopped cold when Mirabel's hazel eyes filled with tears. "What? What is it?" You hurriedly put a hand on her cheek. "Mirabel?"

"Are you breaking up with me?" she whispered.

"No!" you exclaimed, horrified at yourself for making her cry. You shook your head, gently running a hand through her dark curls. "I love you—I would never break up with you."

She covered your hand with her own, looking insanely relieved. "Oh. Okay. I love you too." She smiled, and you caught your breath at how adorable she was. "So, you were saying?"

You wanted to look away but couldn't seem to be able to. "I'm a boy."

She blinked. "You're what?"

You looked away from her, wanting to explain yourself before leaving. "I'm a boy, and my name is Y/n, not D/n. I've known this for several months and I understand if you don't want to be with me anymore." You took your hands away from her, awaiting her reaction.

Mirabel was silent for a count of ten. Each second seemed to last an hour. Finally, she held her arms out for a hug. You carefully leaned into her embrace, and she pulled you closer to her.

"I care about you," she said, kissing your forehead. "You being a boy doesn't change that."

You felt yourself tear up with joy. "You're the first person I've told," you admitted. "And I was worried you would want to break up with me when I did."

She cupped your face in her hands, looking at you like you were a sunset. "Y/n," she said, and your heart jumped at the sound of your true name, "I think that might be the stupidest thing you've ever said to me."

You chuckled nervously, still between her hands. "Thanks?" Even as you spoke, your anxiety seemed to dissolve inside you, making it easier to breathe, and joy and relief took its place.

Mirabel took a hand away from your face to hold your hand. "We've been together for two years, remember? And nothing has changed. I just know that I have a wonderful boyfriend."

You grinned. "And I have an amazing girlfriend."

She laughed and leaned forward, giving you a quick kiss. "Darn right, you do." She looked past the nursery door. "Do you want to tell anyone else?"

"Not really," you admitted. "I think I scared myself enough for today."

She nodded. "Okay—just know I'm right by your side if you need anything—whether it's an extra kiss or to help you hide a body."

You blinked. "I will keep that in mind, cariño."

She giggled and pulled you in for another hug. As you hugged her back, you had the feeling that you could do anything when she was with you. She was the best part of your life, and she didn't even have to try.