Luisa: A Helping Hand

Start from the beginning

"Maybe not," Y/n insisted. "But I want to."

Luisa turned. "You don't give up easily, do you?" She asked the tiny person in front of her.

Y/n smiled brightly, which caused Luisa's heart to jump a little. "Nope! So let me help, or I'll keep pestering you."

To cover up for the unfamiliar sensation in her chest, Luisa exhaled irritably through her nose. "Fine." She pointed her chin to a leaning building. "See that house? Tilt it back."

Y/n stared at the house, eyes widening. "Oh. I was thinking more along the lines of..."

Luisa cracked a smile. "I'm kidding. If you could find all the missing donkeys in town and gather them together, that would be awesome."

Y/n did a little salute. "On it!" Then they turned and booked it down the street.

Luisa watched them go, and the alien feeling inside her seemed to wrap around her heart and squeeze it a little.

It wasn't until the man with the missing donkeys called, "Luisa!" to shake her out of her stupor.

"On it!" Luisa replied automatically, and as she continued working alongside her strange (f/c)-clad companion, she felt strangely relaxed, despite the labor.

-----

"What's happening to me, Isa?!" Luisa gripped her hair in the hallway of the casita. It had been months since the first offer of help, and the weird, heart-squeezing feeling hadn't left her since. With Y/n's help, Luisa felt like she could relax, even for a few minutes—she never could do that before.

"Are they sick with a contagious illness or something? Why do I feel this way when I'm around them?"

Isabela twirled a peony between her fingers, silent for a moment after listening to Luisa's explanation. "Luisa, I believe you are in love."

"WHAT?" Luisa shrieked, causing everyone nearby to turn in her direction inquisitively. "Sorry," she called. Then she turned back to her sister.

"That can't be right," she whispered loudly. "I've only known them for a few months. Love can't happen that quickly."

Isabela shrugged, tossing the peony over her shoulder and creating a daisy in her palm. "Regardless, you have strong feelings for this Y/n person." She looked away from the daisy to raise a perfect eyebrow at her sister. "That, or you experience a heart attack every time they're around."

Luisa shrugged. "Well, maybe..."

Isabela sighed and squished the daisy. "You should tell them how you feel."

"WHA—" Luisa began, before remembering her family and bringing her voice down to a shrill squeak. "I can't."

"And why is that?" Isabela asked. "If Y/n goes out of their way to help you every day, it can't be for no reason."

Luisa fumbled with her hands, for once unsure what to do with them.

Isabela looked at her sister and sighed. "You're hopeless." She conjured a coral rose. "Coral means love at first sight—if they know their flowers, you won't even have to say anything if you give it to them."

"But what if they don't?" Luisa cried. "What if I have to explain and I make myself look stupid?"

Isabela tapped her fingers against her hips. "I'm sorry, but I've never experienced love. What happens next is up to you."

"Isa—" Luisa began desperately, but Isabela held up a hand and held out the rose.

"Just take it. Trust me." Biting her lip, Luisa took the flower. "Now go!"

Suddenly, the tiles underneath Luisa lurched and carried her outside of the house. Luisa barely had enough time to collect her nerves and shove them out of sight before she heard a very familiar voice.

"Hey, Luisa!"

Luisa gulped and hid the rose behind her back. "Y/n! What are you doing here?"

Y/n shrugged. "I came to visit you, if that's okay."

Luisa's heart thumped quicker. They had come to visit her? Just her? And not to ask for a favor?

"Of course it is," Luisa replied. "Um, would you mind taking a walk with me?"

Y/n's face lit up. "Not in the slightest."

And off they went.

Luisa was sweating bullets, mentally rehearsing what she was going to say over and over, as Y/n would occasionally look over in confusion.

Finally, they asked, "What's wrong? You're not usually so nervous."

"I'm not!" Luisa said quickly, feeling her eye twitch. "It's just...um—" With difficulty, she presented the coral rose. "Do you know what coral means?"

Y/n looked at the flower, then at Luisa's face. "I don't think so."

Crap, Luisa thought. "Well, it sort of means...love at first sight, apparently."

Y/n stared up at Luisa, their face uncharacteristically blank. "Is the rose for someone?"

Luisa grimaced. "Perhaps?"

"And that someone is...?" Y/n prompted.

Luisa cracked. "You! I really, really like you and I have since we first met. I know that's super weird and creepy because you probably don't see me that way at all, but I just thought I should tell you because not telling you would be like lying, almost!" she fired off in a rush.

Y/n's eyes were the size of golf balls, and their face turned cherry red. "Really?" They began bouncing on the balls of their feet, and Luisa loved that they didn't seem to care how undignified it was. "Because I feel the same for you!"

Whatever feeling that was left in Luisa's body left it. "You're kidding."

They shook their head, their face glowing. "No! I've always tried to figure out how to approach you without bothering you, because you're always so busy. But I eventually decided to go for it and be annoying. Guess I had nothing to worry about!" They laughed, though their face was still bright red. "Um..."

Luisa, feeling as though she were floating, held out the rose, which was now smushed. "Oh, no, I ruined it!"

Y/n chuckled and put both hands on the flower stem. "No, you didn't. It's a little broken, but that's no reason not to love it." They looked up at Luisa shyly.

Before she could lose her nerve, she said, "Like me?"

Y/n laughed. "I guess so!" They stepped forward and hugged Luisa around the middle. "You could be broken into a million pieces and I would still care about you."

Luisa put a hand on Y/n's head, hoping not to overstep her boundaries. "You know, at first it bothered me how much you could see through me."

"And now?" they asked, looking up.

"Well, now I'm grateful for it," she said with a smile. "Thank you for everything."

Y/n beamed, still hugging. "Now, do you think we could bother Isabela for more of those flowers?"

Luisa laughed. "I don't know...but being annoying worked last time, didn't it?" she said with a wink.

Abrupt ending....yay. But I really wanted to write about the strONG WOMAN WHO SMASHES ROCKS WITH HIPS

Oh dear lord it's 3 am I must sleep