You Know My Mom Thinks We are Dating?

Start from the beginning

Act as if you're actually attracted to me

Say it first, baby girl, say it first

It's just a song she told herself. Just a song. Because if the roles were reversed, and Lily was a man, her actions would be uncomfortable. And stalkerish. And Lily Marie Evans was not a stalker. If a guy friend wouldn't stop persuading his girl friend to date him after she'd already said no twice. Well, he differently wouldn't have friends tell him to ask again. So, since Lily was a feminist and believed in equality, she didn't. If a guy shouldn't do it, she wouldn't either. Plus the ball was in his court. Or at least, that's what she told herself.

So Lily would be friends. He was one of the first people she wanted to tell things about. And loved to spend evenings driving around talking about everything and nothing. And since their friends had already gone back to school, Lily asked him to get drunk on a beach with her. Because why the hell not.

It was the first nice day in weeks. Lily was wearing a corduroy overall dress. Matched with her little spaces buns and winged eyeliner, she felt pretty bad ass. And she didn't think anything of it when he picked her up and drove her to the beach.

"I'm sorry for literally pouncing on you," she said as soon as she climbed into his Suberu. "I know you literally got off work like, ten minutes ago. But it's so nice, and I just want to be outside. Plus getting drunk doesn't hurt either." She shot him a small smile as she slid on her sunglasses and looked over at him.

"No, no it's fine! It is nice and I wanted to get out anyways." By now he's pulled out onto the main road, headed into town. "So where do you want to go?"

"Well, um you're driving and it's your gas so where ever." Lily is trying to be neutral about it. But gas is expensive, and they are poor 20 year olds.

James sighs and grips the steering wheel a bit harder. "Lily don't start with me. It doesn't matter. Where do you want to go?" This is an argument they have every time James drives. He won't take any gas money from Lily, and makes her pick where they go. At this point in their friendship, Lily just knows to let it go.

"I was thinking out the road? You know, the private little beach that you have to hike out to?" James nods.

"Yeah I think I know what you are talking about. So, since I know you won't like beer, I brought some tequila for you? You might want to look up some mixers for yourself."

Lily's already pulling up her phone and reading out possible mixers. "Well, this one says lemonade, and since I'm not a big juice drinker, I'll go with that." By now they are pulling into the grocery store.

"Fuck, that's right. I'm sorry I forgot all about that." The sun was shining down on the two, making James look extra cool in his aviator sunglasses.

"No it's fine, it's not your fault." They are walking together, up to the main doors when they hear a shout from two young women passing them.

"Oh my god! Your overalls are so cute! You look amazing!" Lily's head shoots over and is already smiling at the girls.

"Thank you! 10 bucks from Target!" She yells back. She quickly returns to look at James to see him smiling and laughing at her. "What? Clothing is expensive James. And it's hard to look this cute on a budget." James doesn't say anything, he simply shakes his head and smiles.

Once they've gotten the lemonade, (and some deli Mac and Cheese for James) they are on the road again. Both simply enjoying the sun and the idea of soon relaxing on the beach.

It takes a while to find the turn off, and hike down onto the beach, but one they are there they are happy. James immediately goes over to open a beer, while Lily combs the beach for beautiful rocks. It's not long before she hears him curse from behind her. Lily doesn't even have to turn around to know what happened.