another place, another time (it was always in our teenage minds)

Start from the beginning

In those years, Lily moved to the beach. The ocean seemed to be the only thing that put her at ease. Where she could walk into the water and let the waves take you away. Lily would paint by the sea, and spend nights with a fire. Nights on the beach with James buried under grief and depression.

So when James texted Lily one night, she was surprised.

James: Hey! I found out that we moved to the same area. Crazy how that worked out. Just wondering if you wanted to hang?

And the first thing Lily thought of was that poem. And how it had been five years. Or close enough to it. So she went back and reread it. And with no hesitation she responded.

Lily: Oh my god! It's been so long, James. I'd love to hang out, let's get drinks! There is a great bar I know of, right by my house!

Lily didn't even wait for a response. She was already getting ready for a night on the town. A night to fall slightly back in love with a boy. But not any boy. With James. With someone who made her laugh harder and more true than with anyone else. How he turned her drunk rambling into a tattoo idea. One that gave her strength in her darkest moments.

Lily's fingers were running over those words, The Ocean Believes when she got a text back.

James: Sounds great, where should I pick you up at?

Just like James, Lily thought. Incesting that he drive. He never let her pick him up. He was always the one driving, never accepting gas money. Just picking her up and driving her around their small shitty town. But now they were in a slightly bigger town. And one less shitty. Full of possibilities. Of love. So she just texted him her address and finished applying her makeup.

But again she was drawn back to her poem. And what it meant. So in the last few minutes, she printed it off. Sticking the paper in her back pocket when she heard a knock on her door.

Lily didn't even pause. She threw open the door and wrapped her arms firmly around James.

"Oh god how I've missed you!" Lily closed her eyes and thought of all the old memories. How safe she felt with him. It wasn't until then did she notice how he had changed. How tall James had gotten. How he slimmed down a bit, like he always said he would. Lily pulled back to look to see if he had grown out his hair to that awful Afro he said he always wanted. He hadn't, thank God. But Lily caught James smiling down at her. (Since when has he gotten so tall?)

"What are you smiling at Lily?" James' smile lighting up the whole room. His arms still firmly around her, hands settled on her waist.

"I was seeing if you had grown out your hair."

"Oh god. I can't believe that's the first real thing you say to me Evans. Did you grow out your hair? I did. In college. But we're 24 now. I'm past those childish things. Plus it didn't look very good." Lily just gazed up at him. A smiles stuck on her face. She said nothing as she grabbed his hand and pulled him towards her parking lot. Towards the unknown.

They showed up at the bar, and Lily felt her smile widen when James ordered two glasses of wine for the both of them. He always had been a wine snob. White wine is for seafood, the beach or sunny days is what he had told her over text when she was drunk off wine in the tub. Like a poor 20 year old could be picky with what alcohol they were given. Lily only smiled at him, following James to a table.

"So how long has it been? Two years? I can't believe we all just lost touch in college." James swirled his wine around as he waited for Lily to answer.

Lily passed her glass back and forth between her hands, her fingers smudging the glass slightly. Lily chewed the inside of her lip, deciding how to answer. "Yeah, maybe three? I was having a really rough time when I was sick James. I felt so alone while you all where at college. I had to stop being on social media, it made me feel like I was missing out. Like you all were living this great life, without me. How happy you all seemed. I couldn't do it. And after that, you guys didn't even text me. We all just let me slip away." Lily closed her eyes as she felt the tears brim over. Her lip already between her teeth, and she hadn't even drank her wine yet.