/ Twenty | Usual Suspects \

"Why me? Why was I dragged through to this world?"

He shrugged, his expression slowly turning to one of boredom. "You were just the one that came through."

"And what about the voice in my head?"

"A side effect from the first attempt linking your mind to mine. I imagine it's gone silent now? Since the second attempt was a success."

"But... I did hear it once more," I muttered, suddenly remembering when Wally had crashed into me, this voice in my head that I barely noticed because I was distracted.

"Ah, that must've been when we activated the link. A simple echo of what used to be."

"Why tell me this now?"

"I wanted you to be prepared. The more you know about this, the less you'll try to resist. I want your full cooperation, it'll make this easier. You'll know when you're needed. Until then."

||Washington, D.C
||December 30, 09:10 EDT

Standing in the Hall of Justice, I fiddled with the necklace Wally had given me, dragging the ring back and forth against the string, my mind elsewhere.

He noticed my fidgeting, his eyes going to the necklace. "You're actually wearing it."

"It was a gift, of course I am. I normally wear it but keep it hidden under my shirt."

"Noire, you should probably head out there now. It's about to start," Robin tells me.

I nodded and mindlessly made my way to the front of the Hall where every hero of the Justice League, including those being inducted today, were already gathered, waiting for Superman to give his speech.

"The Justice League was formed for two reasons. First, as an acknowledgment that no single individual, no matter how powerful, can solve all the world's problems alone. And second, to uphold the values of truth, liberty and justice. That, uh, last one's even in the name. These six heroes have sworn to uphold those values."

When Superman finished, he began handing out our official League membership cards. Then Green Arrow stepped in to hand Red Arrow his card. And finally, Batman walked over to me with my ID in hand.

"Thank you," I say to Batman, a smile on my face as I shook his hand.

"You deserve this," he told me, a small smile breaking out on his face for only a moment. "You've worked hard."

With that, the ceremony was over, a bunch of reporters shouting up at the Justice League members. Black Canary led us new recruits inside away from all the cameras flashing.

"Are you ready to see the Watchtower?" She asks.

"Born that way. Plus six months," Red Arrow says with a smile.

"I'm sure the team will wanna congratulate all of you first."

"You don't know Raquel, that is, Rocket," Icon says. "After making her wait inside, congratulations may not be the first thing in her mind."

As we walked inside, stepping into the library where the sidekicks should've been waiting, we found it was completely empty.

"I thought she would at least stick around."

||Mount Justice
||December 30, 15:50 EST

I stepped out of the zeta tube and into the Cave, finding the team standing around the mission room, talking about the mission they had left for during the induction ceremony.