(37)

unrevised.
/ chapter 37 /

Things went back to normal after the exposure of Kyo's secret. Ichika had been busy most of the day trying to complete the important forms needed to apply for college.

She tapped her pen in thought at a certain section on the document. It asked her what major she considered taking, which is where she found herself stuck.

So much for wanting to finish the forms by the end of the day, she thought to herself with a sigh.

She had no goals or desires. She didn't even think she would get the privilege to apply for college, let alone a privilege for anything at all. Now that she was given the chance, what did she want to even study?

The door swung open, revealing a familiar brunette who had on a gentle smile and a plate in her hands.

"Tohru-chan?" Ichika said, perking her head up from her pen and paper.

"I brought some snacks for you. I thought you'd be feeling a bit peckish." The brunette smiled. "How are the paperworks going? Still stuck?"

Ichika nodded her head sadly. "Mmhm. I want to continue my studies at college, but I don't even know for what."

"You'll figure it out, Ichika-chan." Tohru said optimistically. "Maybe you have a calling towards a particular major but you haven't quite figured out what it is yet."

"You're right. I'll figure it out somehow. Maybe I should do some research."

"That's seems like a great start." Tohru agreed, placing the plate of biscuits down onto her desk. "Ah, I've almost forgot to say. There's a call for you downstairs."

Ichika tilted her head. "For me? Who is it?"

"I'm not too sure. I've just put them on hold so I could come and get you."

"Alright, I'll be down in a second."

Tohru nodded and left the room. Ichika quickly wrote down a few other important details into the document before placing her pen down and scraping the chair outwards from under her.

She took a biscuit into her mouth and exited the room. It didn't take her long to arrive downstairs to pick up the phone call from this anonymous person.

Pressing the telephone to her ear, she said, "Hello, this is Ichika speaking."

"Ichika." The voice over the phone made her freeze entirely. Her heart begun to race.

"M-Mother..?"

"How have you been, Ichika?" Her mother's voice was just as she remembered. It was sharp, stern and most importantly, unloving.

Ichika didn't understand. Why was her mother calling her? She thought her parents could care less about her existence. Why were they calling her out of the blue after being quiet for so long?

"I-I-I've been good." Her stuttering habit seemed to have returned in her mother's presence as flashes of the last day at her old home came into in her mind. They were bad memories that she had completely forgotten about up until now.

"Good, hm?" Her mother jarred. Right then and there, Ichika regret picking up the phone. "So when exactly are you coming home?"

Ichika's navy eyes widened. "I don't understand.." She trailed off.

"Oh please. You think your stay there is permanent? Why else would Akito-sama allow you to leave the Sohma Estate?" Ichika squeezed the phone tightly in her hand and bit her bottom lip as she listened to her mother talk. "Are you done making a mess and burdening everyone over there? If so, come home already. You've been gone far too long and Akito-sama doesn't like that."