(27)

unrevised.
/ chapter 26 /

"Can you walk, Ichika?" Enquired Hatori.

The blue-haired Sohma met his purple gaze. She shook her head.

Her legs were still shaking. In fact, her whole body was. She couldn't tell if it was because her body was still drenched, or if it was the reaction her body had as a means of feeling overwhelming emotions.

After their long hug, Hatori thought it would best to catch up with the others and head back into the cabin. Staying out drenched from head-to-toe surely wasn't good for her body. He was already thinking of all the possibilities that could get her sick.

The man faced his back towards her and crouched onto one knee. He flipped his palm facing up in a ready stance.

"Hop on." Was all he said.

Her face reddened. "Eh?"

Ichika could feel her heart pounding inside her chest. She couldn't possibly do that.. she thought to herself. He must still be exhausted from waking in the middle of the morning and jumping into the lake to save her.

"B-But I'm heavy, Hatori-san." She tried to refuse.

"I've already carried you before, you know. Twice in fact. Now hop on." Hatori deadpanned, leaving no room for her excuses.

She sighed softly and reluctantly gave in. She slowly wrapped her arms around his neck and shoulder. She then slipped her legs on both sides of him and he carried her up as if she weighed nothing.

Unable to contain butterflies in her stomach, she hid her face onto his shoulder as he started to walk.

She smelt the faint rich musky scent of his cologne and the light scent of cigarettes that hadn't seem to be washed away by the lake.

She secretly loved his scent. It made her feel safe.

But then Ichika wanted to facepalm herself. What was he doing to her? No— What was she doing, smelling him like that? How embarrassing.

"Enjoying yourself?" Hatori's deep voice cut off her train of thoughts.

Her cheeks flared with redness.

"W-What do y-you mean?" She feigned innocence.

"I can feel you sniffing me." He added. "So, what do I smell like? Good? Bad?"

She looked away with a pout as she could hear his teasing tone. "Like cigarettes."

"Then I take that it's a bad smell," Hatori chuckled. "I'll try to lay off smoking but it's a bit hard for me to kick the habit."

"..It's not bad if I like it." She mumbled, shyly.

"Hm? Did you say something?"

"N-Nothing!"

She could feel her heart racing, and she subconsciously placed a on her heart to steady it. Unknown to her that Hatori had already caught on to what she mumbled.

"Looks like we're falling behind. Come on." He hurried, with his lips hooking up into a smile as he tried to catch them up with the others.

A couple of days had passed since her incident and the Sohma's were back at home, having to cut their vacation short. Ichika had felt bad that she had ruined it for them, but Shigure had assured her that it wasn't like that.