Showdown at the Full Moon Saloon

Start from the beginning

"My name's Lily and I'll be taking care of you tonight. Do we want to start off with some drinks?"

The woman finished attaching her anti-theft purse device to the table edge and gave Lily the most patronizing smile she'd ever seen, her over-plucked brows furrowed in deep concern. She tilted her head and leaned close to Lily, who instinctively took a step back.

"How are you feeling? Do you really think this is the best environment for a baby?"

Totally taken aback, Lily's mouth dropped open. "I… I am…" she reached for something to say, but nothing came. "Fine, thank you… for asking. What can I get you to drink?" She asked, barely managing to steer herself into "polite but professional" mode.

… only to be yanked out of it once again when the lady raised her eyebrows and huffed, head giving an indignant little shake. "You can't work here if you're pregnant."

Keep it light, Lily. Keep it light… She'd talked herself out of no-tip-land many times, and hoped this would be no different. A little joke went a long way with most people.

"I work here, I don't drink here," Lily said with her best reassuring smile, praying that would put the matter to bed. Unfortunately, these weren't "most people."

"You have to be almost at the due date," she gasped, looking Lily up and down. "Haven't you taken any prenatal classes?"

Bristling, Lily stuck her hands, now fists, quickly into her apron pocket and swallowed her temper. She was sure her smile looked about as stretched as her nerves as she desperately tried to change the subject. "About your drinks- "

Undeterred, the woman turned to sweater-vest man. "Richard, don't you agree? Clearly this young woman isn't being very responsible with her child."

Damn if that didn't hit a nerve, but it wasn't like this had been her plan- neither the bar part, nor the pregnancy part. Lily breathed through her nose, but her control slipped when Richard shook his head disapprovingly, making a tsking sound.

"No, I completely agree, Suze. Extremely irresponsible." Of course she's a "Suze."

Lily's hands planted themselves on her hips as she mentally kissed her tips goodbye. "Well, I'm not the only one bringing a child in here, am I?"

She looked at offspring one and two, thinking her point had been made, when the woman had the audacity to come back with, "Yes, and what kind of example do you think you're setting for them?"

Lily blinked several times, wondering if this was some kind of bizarre pregnancy dream. Unsure what in the world to say at that point, she was relieved when the woman waved her away without a word.

She stalked to the hostess booth to angry-roll some silverware sets together while the family from hell decided on their order when she saw Suze attempting to flag down Remus, who was serving someone else at the bar. Hoping Remus wouldn't notice the woman snapping her fingers at him (one of his pet peeves), Lily hurried over.

"Are you ready to order?" she asked, praying for no more awkward conversation. Sadly, her prayers were completely ignored.

"I'm ready to speak to a manager," Suze demanded imperiously, hair bobbing slightly from the severity of her nod.

Tempted to throw Remus to the wolves, Lily nonetheless tried to do him a favor. "Is there something I can help you with? We have -"

"You heard my wife," Richard interrupted. "Get us a manager."

Lily's eyes bugged practically out of her head as she spun on her heel toward the bar. Holy cow, what is it with these people?

Charlie, the other bartender, nodded his head toward the back when she asked for Remus. Lily ducked into the backroom.