5

20th June 1986

It had been a few days since Kimberley had seen River, and she pondered if what his sister had said was the reason she hadn't spoken to him.

It wasn't that she thought he was ugly, because of course he wasn't, but she couldn't get what he was thinking out of her head, and it was playing on her mind.

He was attractive, perhaps the most attractive boy she'd ever seen.

Stop it, Kimberley, he doesn't like you like that!

Kimberley jerked herself out of her trance and shifted her gaze to her easel, where she was pondering a painting concept.

She observed a butterfly on her windowsill as she turned her head towards the window, where she saw River playing his guitar.

Suddenly, she had a thought:

he's like a butterfly, i couldn't get enough of his beauty.
_____________________

At 7:36 p.m., Kim heard a knock at the door. Who is it?

Kim was tense, as she always was when her mother wasn't around, especially late at night.

She dashed to her mother's room and peered out the window, instantly recognising the face, river.

She dashed down to the front door, where she was met by a kind face.

"Hey," he exclaimed, gasping for air.

"Are you okay?" she inquired, perplexed.

He chuckled and said, "Yeah, yeah."

"Did I Forget to Do English Work?" She asked puzzled.

"No, no, see the thing is, it's Saturday night and I'm not really doing anything, and I'm guessing you're not doing anything either, so I figured we could go out and grab something to eat or go for a stroll or anything?" His speech was hurried.

"Slow down, river." Kim continued to laugh.

"I'm not doing anything because my mom is at work, so I'm a little jittery, but if you want to go out, I'm available." she spoke.

"Yeah, that would be great!" he said, seeming relieved

"I'll just grab my bag," she said as she walked away to get it, observing River standing awkwardly at the door step.

"So," she remarked as she walked out the door and locking it behind her.

"What are your plans?" She gave him a kind smile.

"we could grab a bite to eat? I haven't had anything to eat today." He answered to her as he walked alongside her.

"How come it's 7:39 and you haven't eaten yet?" She was taken aback.

"I guess i just wasn't hungry." He gave her a faint grin and looked forward.

"Where do you want to go, I heard a burger joint recently opened?" She gazed up at him as he continued walking.