11

27th June 1986
(later that day)

"Come on, get up!" They'll be here in no time." her mother murmured pleasantly,Before turning around and leaving.

Kimberley gave her mother a small nod as she turned away and closed the door behind her.

Was River thinking about her as much as she was thinking about him?

She needed to mentally prepare herself to see his face since she couldn't get him out of her brain.

She shuffled over to her drawers, exhausted, and pulled out the first thing she saw.

She was exhausted and couldn't be bothered, but she realised how important having friends in a new town meant to her mother.

Of course, she was thinking about him as she carefully pulled her top over her head,

She didn't know him as well as she had assumed.

She felt ridiculous, even silly.

She moved closer to her curtains by slowly pulling her jeans up her legs.

She yanked them open and was face to face with the water; she gasped and yanked them closed again.

Her heart broke all over again.

She couldn't bear seeing him, but her mother would be crushed if she didn't appear.

She despised him, despite the fact that he appeared to have done nothing wrong, but to her it felt like a lot.

She took a big breath and carefully opened her curtains again, discovering river was gone but his brother, Leaf, was there.

He waved and smiled at her, and she waved back with a faint smile.

"river!" She hurriedly walked away from the window, pretending she hadn't heard him call for river.

"yeah?" Rivers' voice answered

"kim- oh wait, never mind," he said softly, before walking away.

Kim felt horrible, but she couldn't talk to him at the moment.

"kim"

She heard a quiet voice outside her window, and she immediately recognized it.

river.

She remained silent, hoping he didn't notice her presence.

Another whisper came through the window, "I know you can hear me, and I understand why you wish to ignore me."

Her heart pumped faster.

"Please, we need to talk," he said, his voice becoming softer than before.

"Kimmie, could you please help me with the food?" her mothers voice echoed before kim could respond.

"Oh yeah, mom, I'll be there"

She hurriedly shook her hair and exited the room, heading towards her mother's voice, leaving river stood at his window.

"All right, okay," her mother said to her.

"Could you put the lasagna on the table?" her mother asked, her fingertips brushing against her trousers.

"Can you set the table for me while I run upstairs and put something else on?"

Her mother had disappeared upstairs before she could respond.

Kim had cooled down a little, but she was still anxious; yeah, it seemed silly, but it hurt her.