Chapter 21

Valentina's POV

A little girl walked into the business class holding her dino plushy. "Lady, I am scared. My mommy is not waking up. Why we shaking?" She points her finger to the economy class.

Her adorable brown eyes are slightly damp, and I see myself in her when I discovered that my papa and abuela had gone. I was terrified to death. I tilt my head to look at what is going on in economy class, I can hear the overlapping voices but I can't see anything since the flight attendant is blocking the way, approaching us, looking ashamed.

"Please accept my apologies, Miss Valentina. Due to the turbulence, the poor girl's mother had a mini heart attack. Come on, sweetheart, I'll find you a new seat." the flight attendant says, reaching for the little girl's hand, which I quickly clasp.

"Oh, no..." I halt, read her name tag. "Gabriela, she can sit with me here, there is so much room and seat for her. I will babysit her until her mom's okay or awake, you can pick her up here later." I smiled, carry the little girl, and put her down beside me.

"Your name is Gabriela and I assume you are Mexican too? You look like a Mexicana. Anyway, es demasiado joven para ver sufrir a su madre." I continued.

"Yes ma'am. Thank you. I'll be right back." She smiled back.

I don't want the niña to witness her mom ache, I would fall apart. Seeing people throw hate at my mom shatters me, I saw all the defamation, threats & hate messages that those disgusting people have hurled at her. I really don't get the hatred towards my soft-hearted and bubbly mom whose main purpose is to help and give happiness to people... They don't deserve her or my family at all how can they be this kind to other people who throw hate at them but still spread the positive energy as if it doesn't affect them.

"Your mommy's going to be fine, okay? What is your name? I am Valentina, you can call me Tina." I whisper, trying to entertain her.

"My name is Polly, I am 6 years old. Tina, hmm, I think I have seen you on my telly. You look like Lawa Palmew." She looks at me with pure adoration and grin.

"Oh my God, you are a baby! Yes, that's me! I played Lara Palmer at The Lara Show! That was a long time ago. Hey, what is your dino's name? I love dinos and plushies! I have a pal too but she's with my mom. Her name is Lola." We locked eyes, she grabs the dino's arm, offered a handshake.

"I am Dino Star! A pink Tywannosauwus wex!" She stammers and I shook Dino Star's hand.

Dinosaurs, Lara Palmer, dolls, and my family were among the topics we talked about. I feel like talking to a 6-year-old version of myself or Mia, who is also quite intelligent for her age! When I showed her my developed disposable photos, all she could say was wow and pretty; when she saw the photo of me with my kuyas, she was utterly taken aback by their height. She also mentioned that mom looks like Ariel and I look like Melody (Ariel's daughter) which is very precious. I love how spontaneous and supportive this little girl is! She is making me laugh and sane in this scary flight.

"Why we keep shaking? My mommy said she will take me and Dino Star to the windmills. I am excited! Do you want to come with us?" Polly flashes a straight white smile.

"I would love to! I can't right now but perhaps at another time. Polly, did you know? My family was the one who built the windmills." I said, still trying to distract her from the turbulence.

"Wow! Your family is cool."

"Yeah, they are..." I looked at the porthole, saw the clouds that freely exist. "Especially my mom, she is not only the coolest and hardest working I know but the kindest, biggest hearted, strongest woman I'll ever encounter. She cares for others in a way little in this world can say the same. I can only hope I grow up and become as beautiful & strong as her." I got carried away, didn't know I opened up to a kid.

"You are, don't worry, Tina." The way she said this to me made me melt. How can a 6-year-old little girl empathize with me? She's so pure. I actually didn't expect her to understand me.

Imee's POV

It's 9 in the morning, Irene didn't wake me up. I checked my phone and I got 3 missed calls from Tina. I sent her a voice message, saying "sorry anak, mummy fell asleep. Are you still awake? See you and love you so much!" I left my phone on my bedside table, changed my pajamas into gym clothes and I went downstairs to have breakfast and tell Irene that we should start decorating the house.

I am rooting around for bagels in the pantry when I saw Irene wearing my newly bought clothes.

"I am making an omelette, eat breakfast with me, manang." Irene says, grabbing my hand.

"You've got to be kidding me. Seriously? You can wear my other clothes or your clothes from yesterday! Never mind, I'm barely hungry. Bagel-hungry, not omelette-hungry."

"I didn't know that they are new! Oh my God, why are you always masungit! I am almost finished decorating the house, just so you know and you are welcome!" Irene raised her two hands, did a little happy dance.

"Really? Well, that's great!" I said and took a bite of my bagel.

See, this is why Irene is my absolute, hands-down favorite sibling. Even though she irritates me to no end, she's still the sweetest and most caring person ever! She's literally my walking diary, unpaid therapist, partner in crime, and perhaps my mini me as she used to love to imitate me when we were young. She told me I'll always be her fashion icon and it was the sweetest compliment I've ever heard from her.

Valentina's POV

We have two more hours until we arrive at our destination. I force Polly to sleep with the help of bribery (more candy, more chips, another barbie movie to watch the next time we see each other again) I only did this so that when we land in Ilocos Norte, she can enjoy herself rather than become sleepy.

I was startled by a loud crash noise followed by insane turbulence, Polly started bawling and I didn't know what to do at this point.

"Can the cabin crew please take their seats, thank you." the pilot announced.

Flight attendants were now seated, you know turbulence is gonna be bad when they make them take their seats.

"I want my mommy! Tina, please take me to my mommy!" She wails, attempting to unbuckle her seatbelt.

"I am so sorry my love but I cannot! You have to calm down, take some deep breaths. Breathe in and out." As much as I want to give her to her mom, I can't because of this stupid turbulence. Hearing her bawl makes me want to hug her tight.

Some people started screaming and they are also scaring the heck out of us, I held Polly's hand and lean her head on my shoulder.

Author's note:
Hi! I am back! Remember when I told you I have research to defend? The defense was last week and I did well!! My teacher even congratulated me ahck! Nag feeling manang Imee ako doon puh lease HAHAHA. But wth? I still have two more pieces of research to defend! English is aight but Filipino is deadass hard?!?! I'm always in awe of people who can easily use words like pagsamo, konserto, dalisay, etc. in their literary works for example when I read my moots stories. Okay, I'm a bit jealous because I still get confused with "ng" and "nang" AND I AM NOT PROUD OF IT. Ahhhh, such brilliant people.