Chapter 9

Valentina's POV

"What are you going to wear tonight darling?" Mom asks while she's looking for a dress she'll be wearing at tonight's family party.

"I don't know yet, I don't have any dress but I asked ate Cara if she can lend me a dress just for tonight"

We have an event to attend tonight, and the entire family, as well as family friends, will be there. I'm jittery because I'll be meeting a lot of people and I have social anxiety. When people talk to me, I get shy or squirm, even though I'm well-known.

"Would you mind very much running down to the store with me?" Mom asked.

"Oh, I am sorry, I have errands with auntie Irene, but if you want you can come with us and we'll go to the store together" I shrugged.

"Oh no sweetheart, you can go with auntie Irene and have fun" Mom kissed me on the cheeks.

Imee's POV

Valentina no longer hangs out with me, thus I'm falling apart. I don't feel good when she cancels plans with me because she's always with Irene. I'm not sure why I'm envious. I miss the Tina, who used to write me letters every morning, and now Irene is the one who receives them. I miss the Tina that would scare me because of the door creak & comes into my room because she can't sleep, I'll hum her favorite song until she falls asleep in my arms. I miss Tina's frequent questioning, but everything she used to do with me, she now does it with Irene. I miss my Tina.

"Hello anak? Are you busy?" I called Borgy to ask if he's available.

"Hey, mom! I am not, why?" Borgy answers.

"Would you mind running down to the store with me and the cafe after?"

"Yes, of course, I'll be there"

I called Borgy because I know I can talk to him about what is happening with me and he is my therapist, Valentina too but she's busy so why bother.

"Thanks, Borgy for accompanying mom" I squeeze Borgy's hand while he's looking at the menu.

"No biggie! But serious question, why are you hanging out with me? Where is Tina?" Borgy asks and his question made me fidget & burst into tears.

"Oh, are you okay? Sorry if I asked" Borgy continues.

"Sorry. I just miss Tina, I barely see her and she's always with auntie Irene. I don't know what happened to me, hindi naman ako ganito I do love to share pero when it comes to Valentina she's hard to share. When I asked her if she can come with me today she said she have errands with Irene. I feel horrendous." I think I overshared and Borgy might think I was selfish.

"I understand you mom but Tina told me you were always busy and she misses you. She understands you for being busy because she knows how much you care for the people and they are also your priority" Borgy tried to comfort me.

"Thank you anak for being here and also sorry for the drama. I'll see you later!"

"It's all good mom! See you" Borgy hugged me.

When I returned home, there was no one there, and I felt alone once more. I went into the kitchen and poured myself a glass of wine before plopping down on the couch to watch RuPaul's DragRace. Tina and I both enjoy this show, but watching it alone is depressing; I was supposed to be laughing or ecstatic while watching this. After a few minutes of overthinking, I found myself sobbing.

"Aren't you supposed to be laughing? Why are you crying, momma? Uhh- Who let you be this beautiful when you cry?" Valentina said and wiped my tears.

"Oh, Thank you, darling. I know, mummy was just um heartbroken because Manila Luzon was eliminated. That's all you!!" Tina had just seen me weeping, so I tried to save myself from humiliation, but it was dreadful.

"Poor Manila. Ate Cara also said she wouldn't be able to lend me her dress because it wouldn't fit me, so I went out and bought a Givenchy gown that auntie Irene chose for me. Look at how lovely she is!" She seems ecstatic about her dress, and I suppose seeing her happy makes me feel better.

"That looks eleganza!"

"Ooo yes!!! We love a RuPaul reference" Tina proudly said.

Valetina's POV

I walked into the room and caught my breath. I'd never been in a space that made me feel so small-or so plain. Crystal chandeliers spiraled down from the arching sky-blue ceiling, illuminating the glimmering golden walls and a floor so polished it looked like an iced-over lake. And it wasn't just the room-the women sparkled like a box of jewels, shades of emerald and ruby and amethyst swirling before me, their low chatter accompanying wafts of rose and hyacinth and jasmine.

"Hello, Vale! You are the star of the room, huh, I mean no wonder look at you!! You are dazzling" Auntie Irene said and cheek kiss me.

"Hello, auntie! Did you call me Vale? My papa only calls me Vale but it's nice hearing it from you" I laugh nervously.

"Oh, I think Vale is a perfect nickname for you, didn't know your dad calls you that."

"Can I borrow Tina from you, Irene?" Mom barges in and she tucks her hair behind her ear.

When mom tucks her hair behind her ear she's either bashful or uncomfortable, I've been studying her habit since I got here. But she never fails to wow me, she looks stunning indeed.

"Is everything okay mom? Look at you!! So stunning, you are the most beautiful" I said.

Mom grabs my arm and says, "All you my love!! Sure! I mean can I talk to you after the party? I just want to-"

"Imee! How have you been?" A guy interrupted our conversation.

"Mr. President! This is my daughter Valentina. Tina this is the president of the Philippines" Mom introduced.

"Good evening Valentina! Now I know where you get your beauty! Your mom and you are beyond beautiful" Mr. President said.

"Good evening Mr. President! Mom is aging backwards. Aging is inevitable but she's kicking it. I'll leave you two and I hope you have a lovely night Mr. President. I'll see you later mom" I said and walked away.

I know something is odd with mom, it made me uncomfortable and curious...