• Try •

Severus' breath hitched when he could feel every eye in the room was on him. He hated the attention. He was used to having his students' attention on him when he was teaching in class, but now he was in a room full of Death Eaters, with some who was happy for him while the others were praying for his downfall.

It was as if they were waiting for him to slip up and make a mistake as he stood at the altar.

Their eyes moved towards the end of the aisle, and Severus' heartbeat quickened as the soft music played. It was time. It was really happening. He was getting married.

He saw you. You stood at the end of the aisle, arm around your father's who happened to be Severus' best friend, a smile was forced on your face. He had seen you so many times before to know that your smile was not genuine, and a part of him ache to know that his future wife despised him.

He did not blame you. How could he when everything you had planned in life was flushed down the drains because of your family. It was too painful for you. The Dark Lord gave you a choice, it was either for you to have the dark mark burned on your skin or for you to marry a Death Eater to show your loyalty.

There was no way out. Lucius Malfoy failed to save his children from them. He knew Draco had to have the dark mark, thus he did not want you, his first born to bear the same fate. So he did what he thought was right, forcing his darling daughter into a loveless marriage that he hoped would give you happiness.

Severus' heart was heavy, as your father placed your hand forward for Severus to take into his hold. But as you glanced at him, nodding with a small smile, he did it oh so gently and tried his hardest not to cry at the sight of his bride.

His bride— You were so pretty. Your eyes were kind and your smile was sweet. Severus felt so guilty. You were supposed to live your life like you wanted to. But now you were prisoned in a marriage with him, of all people. He was a broken man, and it was hard for him to convince himself that he would be able to take care of your heart without breaking it too.

You deserved so much more than him.

"Hi."

Your voice was small, as if you were trying not to burst into tears in front of everyone. He wondered if you wanted to cry out of happiness or frustration. He believed it was the latter.

"You look beautiful."

He managed to get the words out, watching as a smile blossomed on your face. It did not reach your eyes, but at least it was genuine. You were already so brave to go through this marriage, the least Severus could do was making this easier for you to bear with.

As the ceremony continued, the world around him disappeared as his mind was on you. Suddenly he had forgotten that he was marrying someone who was not in love with him. It felt like he deserved to be there, getting married to the prettiest woman he had ever seen.

But he saw a lone tear rolled down upon your cheek, and he knew, you were not happy.

. . .

"Severus."

Severus was shook from his train of thoughts at the sound of your voice. He was standing in the balcony, eyes on the darkened skies, trying his hardest not to look at you as you went to stand next to him.

"You can't even look at me."

You chuckled, but he did not miss the dejection in your voice. Not wanting you to get the wrong idea, he quickly glanced at you, only to see how gorgeous you were under the moonlight.

"What are you doing here?"

He asked, and he cursed himself at how harsh his words might sounded to you. But he was relieved when you shook your head at him, a small smile was painted on your face.