11. Treat Me Like Your Woman

*Music to be played when Ava speaks with Caspian*

I dismissed Tabitha from my mind the instant Elder Zu started with the training. I was going to confront her with questions later.

But right now, I needed to focus on the goal which was— surviving.

That was the key thing now.

"You."

Elder Zu let out.

I arched my brows, looking around to check who it was but was startled when I saw everyone looking at me.

"M-me?"

I stuttered. "Yes, you! Why are you holding a sword that way?"

He questioned, with an alarmed look on his face. Immediately, I looked down to the sword in my hands. It was bent down to the floor, like I was nervous and scared of this entire thing.

And I was.

Gosh I really was...

What if I didn't make it? What if died too, like those girls?

But I had to be strong. For mum, for Moses and lastly, for Piper...

"Sorry sire!"

I exclaimed, correcting myself that instant and bowing in respect to him. Elder Zu rubbed his dark and grey moustache, looking at me closely. His face wore a stern look.

Please don't disqualify me...

Please, please. I swear not to make this mistake again.

I silently prayed.

"Be warned, Ava."

He stated.

I blinked my eyes countlessly on how he knew my name. I mean, we were 25 and introduced ourselves. He must be really smart to have remembered all of our names; really.

"Y-yes, Elder Zu. I'm sorry."

"And no stuttering! This goes to all of you here. Once you're in this battle ground, there is no fear."

He exclaimed, with a brave look.

"Courage, bravery, valor. A female warrior should be daring."

"When others go back in retreat, she goes forward. She fights till the end, even if it means dying like a hero."

Elder Zu added, walking around us with gallantry, saying. The girls were all attention, with their swords up high.

"Are we clear on that?!"

He exclaimed firmly.

"Yes, sire!"

All the girls chorused in response.

We began training immediately. Surprisingly, he told us to keep our sword inside its sheath.

In spite of the scene he made from earlier, today's training didn't involve it.

Instead, it was all about strength.

Elder Zu made us carry buckets of heavy water, telling us to run after him. He made us climb mountains with heavy loads on our backs.

And all through, some people cheated.

Tania and Satandra did.

They took short cuts while we fetched water. While we ran on the mountains, with heavy loads, they took short cuts in the bushes.

"Did you see that?!"

Emily breathed out, the instant we finished our jobs. Tania and Satandra got there before us. Myself and Emily were the second.