7. The Smart One

"All my life, I have never been touched by a man. I've remained clean and chaste" - Ava Goodchild

...

As we assembled the floor, I looked around carefully, noting where everyone was.

The beast was right at the center, on his throne.

With a tight-lipped and stern expression, he watched each of us prudently.

There were some men, standing just by his side.

And one other, serving as a guard, who seemed terribly familiar.

While at the top part of the mansion, were two other women. The first was Cicilia, the seductress. I couldn't recognize the second cause I never remembered seeing her anywhere.

But what I did know was that she definitely held a high rank.

There was no doubt in that, from the way she was positioned, just beside Cicilia. She wore a really expensive attire, engrossed in an unknown conversation with her.

One thing was quite obvious.

She was indeed pretty.

And she held a more visible aura of power, compared to Lady Cicilia.

"Greedy expressions."

Emily suddenly remarked, as we made preparations to dance.

On our toes, with our ankle jewelries, which clanked in sounding

"Huh?"

"The party guests on the other side, all wearing avaricious and greedy expressions...Their eyes searching, like we're some prize to be caught."

She remarked.

But my mind was far off from her words. I only nodded to the words she said, with my eyes on Lady Cicilia and the other female beside her.

I noticed their respective assistants were also conversing with each other.

I needed to talk to one of them, and investigate more.

From how things looked, to have a conversation with one of them, I had to patiently wait for them to come down, to interact with their friends.

One thing I knew was common in women, was we liked show offs.

I planned on using it against them.

"Lady Rook!"

I called out loud the moment I noticed the second female that conversed with Bishop Cicilia, passed beside me.

With her eyes, holding a surprised look, she narrowed them towards me, slowly stepping towards me in elegance.

Her hair was a long and straight brunette, decorated with ancient pins and something that almost resembles a tiara. While her garment, was a peach colored one, with dark and gold embroidery on it.

"Rook Francesca if that's what you meant." she dominantly stated.

I smirked, knowing that was my intention.

Guessing her rank from the chest pieces, with an aim that she'd say her true name.

"My apologies, Rook Francesca,"

I said, curtseying with a slight bow while I held my dress.

"You look unfamiliar, are you new around here? Perhaps, one of the chosen?"

"Yes, I am, milady. Under your mercy of course."

I expressed.

I just had to spite her.