ARC 4.4: THE HYMN OF YEARNING

Chapter Status: Unedited

Luo Weisheng's POV

Everything's fucked up.

I should have said no.

And now he's gone.

"Weisheng, he's going to come back, don't worry."

"But father, I hurt him." I answered as I reminisced on what happened a while ago.

As usual, me and Xiaoxian went to our secret place. Sing and dances together, ate our packed foods. Everything went well and everything is going our way. But I didn't realize that the happy picture that we had at that time will shatter the moment we stepped into our home, our reality.

It's not us anymore, it's not a paradise anymore.

After coming home, our parents called for us to announce something. My parents wanted to talk to me alone so I went with them while Xiaoxian went to his parents.

I thought it's about the family and we need to talk about it. But what my father told me not just broke me but the dream I always wanted to have.

"Do you want to meet your future betrothed?" Father asked as he seriously stared at me.

I was shocked. I didn't know what to say.

"I... have one?" I asked confusedly.

"You forgot?" He asked again with a sigh.

Thinking it through, I really did.

I forgot my shackles, I forgot who I am.

I'm a noble of this empire, and marriage.... is not something we can control.

"Father—"

"I'm sorry!"

I saw a running figure and realize who it was.

It was him.

My star.

"Xiaoxian! Please stop! Let me explain first!" I shouted as soon as I saw him running out of the house.

He kept running and didn't even look back at me.

I tried to run faster however someone caught me and let him run out of my sight.

"You knew," I said as I tearfully looked at my grandfather.

"Xiaosheng, let's talk first, okay?" He asked.

I tried to loosen his grip on me but in the end, I failed.

"Grandfather, please...I have to go to him," I said as I turned my head to look towards where I last saw him.

"Xiaosheng, let's get inside first, okay?" Grandfather said. Although it looks like he's asking me but in truth he's commanding me.

I want to say no.

I want to let go.

I want to go and run after him.

But in the end, I can't.

I looked down and nodded, "Yes, grandfather."

⸻⸻

Xue Zhixian's POV (MC)

It hurts.

Why is this happening?

Our story has not even begun, but it's already ending?

Why now?

All of the people who is betrothed to someone, why him? Why brother?

"Xiaoxian...can you please come out? Mother and father are getting worried."