ARC 4.2: THE HYMN OF YEARNING

Chapter Status: Unedited

"Grandfather," I saluted as soon as we arrived.

He just stared at me and beckoned me to approach him.

"Since when the last time you went out?" He asked.

"It was six days ago, when I accompanied mother to the market," I honestly answered as I took a peeked at my trembling sister.

I sigh and looked at my grandfather. He does look scary, with a big built and always frowning face, that's why I understand the reaction of my sister towards him. But although grandfather looks like that, he is gentle to everyone specially towards children.

"Then, does little Xian want to go with grandfather to the capital?" Grandfather asked as he patted my head.

I stared at him and didn't answer for a while.

Going to the capital right now can really help me finding brother but I still need to something in here.

I was ready to say no when he said something that excite me.

"The head of the Luo family contacted me few days ago and we both agreed to let the younger generation to meet and have fun together," he said.

"Then why are you only informing me, grandfather?" I asked when I noticed that except for my elder sister, it is only me and grandfather here.

"The others already met the children of Luo family, so this time I want you to go with me," he stated.

"Are we going with mother and father? Elder sister and older brother too?" I asked since I felt that he really wants me to come.

"Well they are coming too," he said as he smiled to my sister who still trembling. She looks like a frightened cat, it made me want to pet her.

I nodded and excused me and my sister.

From what I remembered about this world's background, the Luo family is brother's family. In the original timeline, Xue Zexian is not supposed to exist in the Xue family. 

Xue Zexian, my identity right now is the second son of the third young master of the Xue family. The Xue family is a family of ministers, the patriarch—my grandfather, Xue Deming—is currently the Chief of Ministry of Rites, and his children also works in different ministries. My father, Xue Guiren is also a minister under the Ministry of Rites. He married my mother because he fell in love with her the moment he saw her dancing at the pavilion. My mother, Wei Lanfen is a daughter of a merchant who coincidentally stayed in Tang Empire. Long story short, my father and my mother became lovers during that time and decided to get married. When I said that Xue Zexian is not supposed to exist, I really mean it. The third young master of the Xue family and his wife never had a child, like nothing at all. That is why when I read about the world background, I immediately chose to be a child of them. And also because even though it is not mentioned, the Xue family and the Luo family are close to each other since ages. 

"Are we really going with grandfather?" my elder sister asked worriedly.

"I think so," I answered.

Looking at her who is still nervous got me curious so I asked her, "Why are you so afraid of grandfather?"

She bits her lip and answered, "Well, second uncle told me that grandfather is eating children."

What? Eating? 

I chuckled and held her hand, "Elder sister, maybe second uncle is just scaring you. You know grandfather really look scary but he's nice."

"Maybe," she mumbles.