Tim And Puck

Dick had hardly given Tim any information about the boy he's supposed to be hanging out with all day.
Tim guessed that the boy might have some sort of country accent, very outgoing, had pride in his horse or something, and would be tanned and freckled.

When Tim saw Puck walk out if the country house he was slightly surprised. The boy had hardly any freckles, looked nervous, and kicked his foot into the dirt.

"I'm Tim" Tim said as he held out his hand for a handshake.

Puck didn't meet Tim's eyes and muttered "Hi" before he briefly shook his hand.

Tim could feel the heavy calluses on Puck's hand and then it occurred to him that maybe Puck thought that Tim was some city boy who didn't like getting his hands dirty.

This wasn't a problem, Tim had dealt with many people like this before and would make the best of this situation.

"So what do you like to do?" Tim asked.

Puck exhaled like he had hoped Tim wouldn't have ask that.

He shrugged and said "Nothin much, chores, cleaning, building."

"What do you build?" Tim asked.

Suddenly, as if Tim had flipped a switch, the boy grinned and looked at Tim with excited eyes.

"Want to see what I've been working on recently?" Puck asked.

The boy was so excited suddenly and Tim leapt for the opportunity.

"Yeah!" Tim said, trying to match the tone of excitement that Puck had.

Puck turned and ran off. Tim ran after him for a few minutes and started to wonder how much endurance this boy had. Puck never slowed until gmthey ran deeper into the forest. Finally he stopped at a wooden gate and turned to Tim.

"So, we're not supposed to go over the gate because there are potholes in the ground and stuff but I've been working on something over there and if we're careful we'll be fine" Puck said.

Tim blinked then debated in his head. Break the rules or get along with the boy. Well, Dick did tell him to be nice.

"Okay" Tim said with a nod.

Puck smiled again and grabbed the top of the gate and just flipped himself over. Honestly Tim was surprised at his agility. He had suspected Puck to be heavy and rough, not nimbly agile.

Tim followed him and they went deeper into the forest before finally Puck stopped under a huge tree.

He looked awkward again and said "Um, can you climb?"

Tim raised an eyebrow and nodded.

Puck still looked hesitant but then he reached around the tree and pulled out a rope that was attached somewhere above them.

He muttered something before climbing up.

Tim watched as Puck swiftly reached the top and disappeared. Tim started to climb and around the top he looked around and put his foot on a branch then grabbed the trunk and pulled himself onto the tree.

"Over here" Puck called.

Tim turned and finally saw what Puck was so excited about.  There was a wooden platform that connected to a few other trees and had stairs that went up higher. There were railing and the leaves above acted as a roof.

"Whoa!" Tim gasped as he stepped onto the platform. "Puck this is crazy!" He turned around to look at what Puck had been building.

Puck grinned and kicked the floor bashfully.