"What can I get you?"

"You don't want to know why I named my cat Chester? Even though she was a girl?"

"No. What can I get you?"

"Water please. Lots of water. And a burger. Some chips. Do you have cherry pie? You smell like cherry pie."

Again, she made no comment and just set her paper down and walked off in the direction of the kitchen. "Burger and chips!" She called into the doorway and James heard someone in the back of the diner call back. Lily turned around and picked up a glass and started filling it with water.

"I thought my cat was a boy when I got her. She was this big, orange, fluff ball of a cat and Chester just seemed to fit."

"I hope you remember this conversation tomorrow when you're sober."

"Chester was great, why wouldn't I want to remember her?"

"Why didn't you change her name when you found out that it was a she?"

She turned around and started toward him. He looked for a smile, but there wasn't one. She was humoring him, but he didn't mind.

"Lily," He read her name tag and the waitress' brow creased.

"You named her Lily?"

"No," He shook his head. "That's your name, right?" He nodded to her nametag.

She set the glass down in front of him and nodded. "That's why it's on my nametag."

"It's a lovely name," He said, "And I couldn't change the name of my cat because she was a Chester, it didn't matter that she was a girl." He shrugged and then picked up the water and started taking a drink.

"Don't drink it too quickly, I'm still worried that you're going to get sick. "

"It's nice of you to worry about me," James smiled at her, but then when he went to set the water down, he almost spilled it. He would have spilled it if Lily hadn't reached out and stopped it from falling over.

"Don't make a mess or I'll have you clean it up."

"Oh, if I make a mess, I'll insist upon cleaning it up." He assured her, chuckling a bit. "Fuck, I don't remember glasses being so hard to set down."

"You're drunk, remember?" And he could have sworn that she almost smiled at that. He just laughed again.

"Oh yeah, I forgot about that." He thought about taking another drink but he didn't want to spill the water and have Lily stop with her almost smile.

"I'll go and get the pie for you." She said.

"Wait!" He said, stopping her from turning around. "I want to wait to have the pie. If you bring it out now, I'll just eat it because it's here."

"And then you'll get sick, won't you?"

"It's my stupid mate's fault. It was his stag party tonight and we let him pick the drinks... because you know, it was his stag party. But he likes the sugary, fruity drinks, which taste good, but you can't drink too many of them."

"But you did anyway?"

"Oh definitely." He nodded.

"Well then you'll find no sympathy here."

"I don't want your sympathy, I just want you to smile at me again."

"I don't think that I've smiled at you," She tilted her head and James could see that she had a few freckles along the bridge of her nose.

"You almost smiled at me though and I'd like for that to happen again."

"You really are drunk, aren't you? Like, really drunk?"