Chapter 144: For Good

Sam's P.O.V

And just like that.. the moment was ruined. 

I quickly pulled away, running over to the stove and lifting the pot off of the burner. My heart jumped as I heard her giggle behind me, leaning up against the counter. I avoided her eyes, my cheeks burning red as I finished cooking, hoping she wouldn't question me on what was almost said. I was getting ahead of myself. Now wasn't the time. Not while she was still (literally) crying over Jake, as part of me was sure she always would be. Why did I insist on letting myself get involved? Why couldn't I just let it go?

"Here you go." I said softly, giving her a gentle smile as I handed her the bowl. She smirked back at me, taking it from my hands, her fingers lightly grazing mine, lingering a little too long.
"Thank you, Sam." She sighed. I nodded, biting down on my lip. I loved when she said my name.

That was why.

After she finished, she placed her bowl in the sink and grabbed my hand again, pulling me back into her bedroom, shutting the door behind us. Her cheeks still red and blotchy, her eyes bloodshot from crying, I could see her eyelids getting heavier as she crawled back onto her bed, cuddling under her covers. I hesitated, unsure of where she wanted me to go.

"Sam.. can you stay?" She asked. My heart jumped. I nodded, sitting down on the edge of her bed.
"Y-yeah.. I.. I can stay for a little." I said softly, gently brushing the hair out of her face. Her smile grew as she grabbed onto my shirt, pulling me closer. I lifted the blankets, climbing underneath. She didn't hesitate to position her leg over mine, turning her body to fit within every crevice of my own. Everything in me wanted to stay, stay here with her as long as she wanted me, but I knew there would be hell to pay if I wasn't back on the bus when everyone woke up tomorrow morning.

I didn't have to wait long for her grip to loosen, her even breaths gently blowing against my neck. I very slowly maneuvered myself from her grip, gently kissing her forehead before turning off the lights, and leaving her room, carefully shutting the door behind me.

"I thought I told you to leave her alon-.. oh.. Sam?" I heard from the kitchen. My heart dropped, my whole body going cold. I was frozen in place as I slowly turned to see Jess' dad sitting down at their kitchen table, facing me, drink in hand. How long had he been there? 

Who did he think I was?

"H-hi.." I managed, my cheeks burning bright red. He gave me a gentle smile, motioning for me to come over. It don't think I had a choice. I slowly made my way over, sitting down in the chair next to him, forcing myself to meet his eyes. He held his stare on me for a moment, taking a sip of his drink. I could smell it from here. Straight whiskey.

"You want one?" He asked. I bit down on my lip, shaking my head.
"N-no.. that's.. that's okay." I mumbled. He nodded, his smile growing.
"I.. I wasn't-"
"It's okay." He laughed. "I'm not angry with you." I held my stare on him, still unsure of what was happening. He took another sip, keeping his eyes on his glass, slowly twirling it around.
"Is she upset?" He finally asked. I nodded, looking back down at my hands.
"So.. she called you?" I shrugged, feeling my cheeks burn.
"Well, I.. I texted her.. asking if she was okay. She.. she really didn't want to talk about it though." I said quietly. He nodded, taking another sip.

"Look, I know he's your brother but.. I've seen too much. I've heard too much. The amount of times she's called me crying over him.. and then seeing him tonight at the show.. it was like Travis all over again and.. I can't have that. She cannot afford to go through that again." He said, keeping his eyes locked on his drink. I nodded.

"You know.. she's been clean for over a year." He said. My heart dropped.
"C-clean?" I asked, my heart beating faster. "I.. I didn't know she.. she ever did anything.. if.. if that's what you mean, I.. I had no idea." I wanted to ask, but it didn't feel like my business.
"So then she's still clean." He said softly. "That's good to hear." I held my stare on him, unsure of what to say. He finally looked back up at me, his eyes sad.
"If she hasn't mentioned it to you, then she probably doesn't want you to know, so.. as far as she's concerned-"
"I don't know anything." I assured him. He nodded, acknowledging, giving me a subtle smile.

"She got into.. a lot of trouble with Travis, sometimes disappearing for days at a time, and when she finally came home, the withdrawals were so bad that.. sometimes I wondered.. what was worse."
"I.. I had no idea." I whispered. He was quiet again for a few minutes. I sat, waiting.. every second feeling like a lifetime.

"Thank you again for saving her." He finally said. I nodded, feeling my cheeks burn. The accident. "I.. I mean.. I really didn't know what I was doing, I just-"
"Why were you two together that day?" He asked, smirking back at me, taking another sip. I bit down, trying to contain my smile.
"Well, uh.. she told me she writes so.. I was taking her to get a bass for Christmas. I told her I'd teach her how to play, so she could write her own songs." He held his stare on me, his smile growing. It was the first time I felt like I could actually breathe.

"She already knows how to play." He said, shaking his head and smirking back down at his drink, finishing the rest of the glass. "She must really like you.. because she doesn't let anyone teach her.. anything."

My heart jumped, my smile growing.
So this whole time she was just pretending.. as a way to spend more time with me. That in itself was enough to make me want to run back into her room right now.

"That sounds like her." I laughed. He nodded, getting up and pouring himself another glass. When he came back, he placed one down in front of me. I assumed I didn't have a say in the matter. I hesitated before taking a sip, trying my hardest not to let my face show how it burned all the way down. He sipped it effortlessly, twirling it around his glass again.

"And.. don't get me wrong." He said. "I know having a little too much to drink is.. nothing compared to the shit she went through with Travis. I know what happens on tour, and I know sometimes things can get a little out of hand but.. that's my kid. And I cannot go through that again, and neither can she. She won't survive it. Not again. She needs someone kind and gentle.. someone who can actually.. help her heal. And from what I've heard, from what she's told me.. that sounds a lot like.. you."  My heart jumped again, my cheeks burning red, my body feeling like it was on fire.

"She's my best friend." I said softly, keeping my eyes locked on my drink. "I.. I really.. care about her. And.. no matter what that means for her, I just.. I want her to be happy."
"But you love her." He stated, smirking back at me. I stared back at him, wide-eyed, my heart pounding in my chest. Biting down on my lip, I finally nodded.
"But.. she loves him." I whispered, avoiding his eyes again.

"I know she's upset, and as her father, that kills me. I'm sure he's a good guy and all, and.. I know how much she loves him, and honestly.. it is terrifying knowing someone has that much of a hold on her. But just from what I've seen, with him, with them, it wouldn't be healthy for her in the long run. It was hard enough finally pulling her away from Travis, and part of me feels like she didn't even really like him that much, but.. I can see how she is with Jake, and it will be.. detrimental. He told me he was planning on proposing. Tonight. And he wanted my blessing, but.. I told him no. I told him if he loved her, if he really loved her.. like he says he does.. he would leave, and let her heal."

My entire body went cold. So.. it wasn't Jake after all.
I should've known.

"So.. he didn't-"
"I know she would never leave him. Not for good. Especially not if I said anything. So I told him, for her sake, to do whatever it took.. to end it for good."