Chapter 184: It Was Real

Jake stared up at me, clutching me tighter as I scrambled to reach whatever piece of clothing I could find. It felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest as I finally grabbed his shirt, throwing it on, quickly buttoning it up.

"Jess!!" Sam yelled again, banging his fist against the window. "I'm sick of this, we have to talk.. now!" Jake held his stare on me, the color draining from his face.
"Jake, where are my pants!" I loudly whispered. He snapped out of it, holding me close as he leaned over, grabbing them from the front seat.
"S-sorry, here." He said quietly, handing them over. I quickly slid them on, reaching for the door. Jake then grabbed my arm, pulling me back.

"Jess.." He whispered, staring up at me with sad eyes. "I just.. I'll talk to him. Please don't.." I stopped, holding my stare on him.
"Jake, he knows I'm in here."
"Jess.. you've been drinking, he's been drinking.. I just.. I'll talk to him, okay? Just.." He leaned over, pulling me into a long kiss before opening the door. "Stay here."

As he pulled the door open, I could see Sam standing outside, his cheeks flushed, his eyes bloodshot, one hand propped up against the side of the van, glaring back at me.
"Jess!" He yelled again, reaching for the door, but Jake quickly pushed him away, shutting the door behind him.

"Where the fuck is your shirt?" Sam yelled, eventually shaking his head. "Whatever. I need to talk to her." My heart jumped as he reached out for the van door, but Jake quickly pushed him away.
"No!" He snapped. "Leave her alone! You can't keep doing this. Please.. Sam, I'm.. I'm so happy. Why can't you just.. let me be happy?" He stopped, holding his stare on him. Sam glared back at him, gently rocking back and forth.

"Jake, I.. I don't know what she's told you but.. it was real for us. I know it was. And I need to talk to her. I.. I can't just.. sit back and see you two together and.. keep acting like it wasn't." He sighed, going for the door again. I could see Jake tense up, shoving him away.
"If it was real for you, then why is she engaged to me." He said sharply. Sam stopped, glaring back at Jake for a second before swinging his fist. My heart sunk as I instantly jumped back, hearing a loud thud hit the van door, Jake now holding his hand up to his face.

Finally, I swiftly opened the door, slamming it behind me.
"Don't you fucking touch him!" I screamed, shoving Sam away. He stumbled backward, glaring over at me.
"Jess.." He sighed. I shook my head, going over to Jake who now had his head tilted back to keep his nose from bleeding.

"Are you okay?" I asked. He sighed, nodding, keeping his eyes closed.
"I'm fine, Jess." He said softly. "Get back in the van."
"No, not if you're hurt, I don't-"
"Jess, I'm fine." He said simply.
"Jake, I-"
"Jess, get back in the van."

"Oh my god!" Sam yelled, shoving Jake again. "Let her fucking speak! See, this is what I'm talking about. You don't give a shit about her, she's here trying to help you because I punched you in the face and all you're worried about is getting her away from me!" He rolled his eyes, laughing to himself.
"Sounds real secure to me, Jakey. If I was engaged to someone, I wouldn't care who they were around because I knew that when she said yes to me, that meant she only had eyes.. for me. So.. the fact that you're so worried about her being around me.. tells me everything I need to know."

My heart jumped, my cheeks burning red as he turned to me, staring back with lustful eyes that instantly brought me back to that night in his bunk, glowing in the warm light of the early morning sun. I remembered every second of that night so vividly; every soft and tender kiss, every gentle touch, intertwining limbs until we became one.