Chapter 73: Someone for You

Jake stared up at me wide-eyed as I came back into the room, slamming the door behind me.
"I.. I didn't expect it to go like that." He said softly.
"That makes two of us." I sighed, plopping down on the bed, turning away from him. 

I quickly wiped my eyes, hoping he hadn't seen. This wasn't fair. I didn't want to lose Josh completely, but I was willing to do so if it meant being with Jake. If he really felt like he was dodging a bullet, then so be it. We wouldn't even be friends. It would basically be like we didn't exist to each other anymore.

And I was fine with it now.

"Are you okay?" Jake asked. I could hear the concern in his voice, but I didn't want him to worry anymore. He was right. This wasn't fair to him at all, and he had given me way more chances than I deserved. I crawled over, maneuvering myself into his arms, wrapping mine around him.
"I'm okay." I sighed, hiding my face in his chest. I felt his hand gently move up and down my back.

"I'm sorry that I-"
"No, you were right. It's okay." He bit down on his lip, nodding.
"I just.. I don't want you to resent me because of it." He said quietly, peeking down at me. I pulled him closer.
"I won't. And he's right, he deserves someone who picks him too. And.. that isn't me." I felt him nod.

"So.. we got a call from the label and they said the video should be done in the next couple days." He said quietly. I peeked up at him. He looked less than thrilled.

"You don't seem happy about that." I said. He shrugged.
"I just know what it means." He said, rubbing my back again.
"Well, it doesn't have to mean anything anymore." I said plainly, leaning up, gently kissing his neck. I heard him giggle as he pulled me closer.

"Yeah, to all of us, but.. to everyone else."

I knew what he meant. It wasn't going to look good, him and I being together after how the video is bound to look. I knew James had been filming me and Josh the entire time we were together. I could only imagine how that could be pieced together to look. 

At least no one would be able to hear anything.

"I don't care what anyone else thinks.. if you don't." I said, looking up at him. He gave me a subtle smile, leaning in, gently kissing me on the lips.
"That's all that matters." He sighed.

The last thing I wanted was attention for all of this. I didn't even want people to know Jake and I were together, but now everything was going to change.

"You know.." He said, his voice trailing off. He ran his fingers down my arm, gently taking my hand. "I.. I know we haven't really.. talked about stuff like this but.. I think considering.." He said, tapping on the ring. I smirked up at him.
"Yeah?" I asked, feeling my cheeks burn.
"Well, I was just wondering.. what you were planning on doing.. for the holidays. We have a small break for Christmas and New Year's.." He said, avoiding my eyes. I felt my cheeks burn.
"What are you asking, Jake?" I laughed, propping my head up to face him. He smirked back at me, his cheeks getting red.

"I'm asking.. you to come back home.. with me." He said, biting down on his lip. He stared back at me, his eyes hopeful. "I.. want to be with you on Christmas.. and New Year's.. and every day in-between." He giggled. "And.. my mom was asking about you, if you were gonna come, my family loves you and.. I just really want you there." He shrugged.

"Well, not your whole family." I laughed, rolling my eyes. He smirked, shaking his head.
"Yeah, well.. I was thinking about this before that happened."
"And.. you don't think it would be.. uncomfortable?" I asked. He shook his head.
"That was his choice." He said plainly. My cheeks burned. 

I wouldn't exactly say it was his choice. I couldn't imagine having to be around Jake if he was in love with someone else either. I might not be happy with how Josh handled it but.. I understood.