Chapter 30: We've Got Time

When we got back to their house, Jake took my hand, leading me off the bus and into their backyard. The twinkle lights around the porch gave it such a warm, homey feel. It was a shame we had to leave so soon. I could get used to life out here.

"You want a drink?" Jake asked, turning to me. I nodded as he handed me a red solo cup of whatever he poured for himself. Looking around, I saw that more of his family were here. There were so many of them, happily laughing and drinking, talking amongst each other as the rest of the guys made their way around the yard.

"You can go talk to everyone, it's okay." I said, looking up at Jake. He smiled down, his grip on my hand getting tighter, intertwining our fingers.
"I'll get to everyone eventually." He laughed, taking a sip and looking around. It was nice getting to be around such a big family like this. I had never known what this felt like, so it meant a lot when Ronnie said she considered me family already.

"So, I didn't really get the tour before." I laughed, pulling him towards the house. He smirked and lead me inside.
"Well, this is the kitchen, where as you might suspect, we spend most of our time." He said. I looked down the hallway and saw it was covered in photos.

"And what do we have here?" I asked, giggling to myself. "Oh, look at that.." I pointed out one of their family photos. He quickly followed, wrapping his arounds around me, trying to pull me away.
"We don't have to look at these." He laughed, pushing me further down the hallway. I laughed, trying to get away.
"Oh, come on, let me see." I finally broke free. "You were so cute." He came up behind me, wrapping his arms around me, leaning his chin on my shoulder.

"How do you know that's me?" He asked. "Josh and I looked exactly the same." I peeked over at him.
"I can tell it's you." I said, kissing his cheek. I felt his smile.
"..Lucky guess." He laughed, pulling me further down the hallway. I followed close as he lead us to one of the bedrooms.

"Anddd.. this is my room." He said, plopping down on the bed. I walked in, shutting the door behind us.
"This makes sense." I said, looking around. It was simple, a typical boys room. There were two guitars in the corner, heavily used and worn out. His desk was a mess, and his closet door hung open, filled with muted clothing, half off the hanger and scattered piles on the floor. I turned around to see him smirking at me from his bed.

"So is it everything you imagined?" He laughed. I nodded.
"Actually, it is, yeah." I said. His smile grew as he reached out for my hand, pulling me towards him. I crawled onto his bed, lying down next to him, looking up at his ceiling. He lied down, leaning his head on his hand, smiling down at me.
"Not very exciting, I know." He giggled to himself.

I looked up at him, staring down with dazed eyes, a subtle smile across his lips. My heart started beating faster the longer he stared. No one had ever looked at me the way he did. I reached up, pulling him down into a quick kiss.

"So, did young Jake ever think he'd be doing this?" I asked.
"Laying here with you? No.. but he hoped." He smiled, leaning in and kissing me again. I laughed, rolling my eyes.

"Cute." I said. "I mean.. the band." His smile grew and he shrugged.
"I mean, you never know with that kind of thing." He sighed, gently pushing the hair out of my face. "All you can really do.. is do what you love, and hope that other people care too."
"That's pretty scary." I said softly, staring back at him, getting lost in his eyes again.
"Yeah." He laughed, now looking away. "Thankfully, it worked out."

"If it didn't.. what would you have done?" I asked, reaching up gently running my fingers through his hair. He thought for a minute.
"You know.. I really don't know. This is all I've ever known. So.. I guess I just got really lucky."
"Well, it's not all luck. You're very good." His face got red and he smirked back at me.
"Thanks." He sighed. "I don't know. I guess.. I would have liked to do something where I'm helping people. Doesn't really matter what."
"That's sweet." I said. He shrugged, looking away again.

"What about you?" He asked, now trying to take the attention off of him. "Would you pursue writing?" I hesitated, biting down on my lip.
"Funny you should ask.." I said, now sitting up. He looked at me confused as I went over, grabbing one of his guitars.

"Sam's been helping me a little here and there.. I.. I wanted to do something for you." I climbed back onto the bed, holding the guitar close in my lap. Jake stared back at me wide-eyed.
"Wait, what's happening?" He giggled to himself, his cheeks getting redder.

"Now.. don't laugh." I said.
"I would never laugh." He said softly, staring back at me, flashing me a huge grin. My heart was racing.

"So.. I took one of those poems, and.. I wrote you a song."
"You.. what?" He sighed, his jaw dropping. My face felt like it was on fire. I couldn't believe I was doing this.

"It's not gonna be good." I said quietly, and started to play.

It felt like my heart was going to pound out of my chest. I couldn't bring myself to look up at him the entire time, so I had no idea how this was going. Is this how they felt when the played their songs? I don't know how anyone could bare feeling like this every night, if at all. When I finished, I peeked up at him. He was staring back at me with the biggest smile I had ever seen.

"So.. there you go." I said quietly, smiling back at him. He sighed, and then pushed his guitar to the side, pulling me into a passionate kiss. I held his face in my hands, kissing him back harder. His hands moved down to my waist as he lifted me up and into his lap.

"I can't believe you did that." He said quietly, leaning his forehead against mine. "N-no one's ever written a song for me." I smiled, kissing him again.
"Well, now you have me to." I tangled my fingers in his hair, pulling him into another series of kisses. I felt his lips curl into a smile.

"I love you so much." He sighed, kissing me back harder. I wrapped my arms around his neck, staring back at him.
"I love you too." I said softly. "How did I get lucky enough to find someone like you?"
"Well.. I found you." He said, smirking back at me. I rolled my eyes, leaning in and kissing him again. I never wanted this moment to end, but the longer we were away, the more I worried about someone coming to get us.

"You think they miss us yet?" I asked. He bit down on his lip and shook his head.
"No." He said, getting up and locking the door. "We've got time."