Chapter 7: Heat Above

It was a few minutes before showtime.

I stood backstage while the opener finished their final song, and started clearing off their instruments. I still had no idea what to expect for the guy's set. I had seen clips online here and there, but this was a new tour. I had no idea what they had in store. I clicked through my camera to make sure my settings were ready for when the show finally started.

"You ready?" I heard from behind me. I turned around to see Jake, guitar in hand. I smiled.
"I think the question is are you ready?" I laughed. He smiled back, nodding.
"This is my favorite part of the day." He said sweetly, now looking out at the crowd. I envied the confidence they all seemed to have. How easily it was for them to go out every night and play to all these people. I could never. Luckily for me, no one was watching me while I worked.

His hair fell beautifully over his shoulders onto his newly embellished suit; black with gold embroidered designs down the arm. He didn't wear a shirt under his coat, leaving his chest exposed. I tried not to look for too long.

"You look... really good." I finally said, cheeks burning. He smirked, looking back at me.
"T-thank you." He said. He was blushing now too. We stood silently staring at each other for a second until..

"Almost showtime!" Josh called out. I turned to see him walking up. He was also wearing a black coat with gold designs embroidered down the front and no shirt underneath. His dark red pants a little too tight and his feathered headband flew in the wind as he made his way over to us.

"Well, look at you.." I said, turning to him. "Did you guys plan this?" He laughed.
"We have new outfits for every show." He said. I smirked.
"Very theatrical." He smiled, shaking his head at me.
"You'll thank me later when your photos look great because of it." I laughed.
"I'll be sure to."

Everything started to get quiet out in the audience. I guess the other band had finished clearing out. I looked at the time. 8:57. They were going on soon.

"You're gonna wanna watch from right there." Jake said, pointing to a spot in front of the stage. He smiled. "That's my side."
"Then that's where I'll be." I said. He peeked back at me with a smirk.

"You can't monopolize the photos, Jake." Josh snapped, playfully shoving him. "She's gotta get all of us." Jake was blushing now, rolling his eyes and looking back out into the crowd.
"I know, I know. Don't worry." I said to Josh. He smiled, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. Jake looked back at him, his face dropping a bit.

"We ready?" Sam asked, walking up with his bass. I looked down to see he wasn't wearing any shoes. I laughed to myself. Made sense.

"Let's go!" Josh yelled, pulling me closer a bit. Peeking back over at Jake, I saw he was already looking out. I moved out from under Josh's arm.
"See you guys out there!" I called, moving past them, gently squeezing Jake's hand on my way through. He quickly looked at me, wide eyed. I smiled, and made my way down to the front of the stage and waited for the show to start. When I reached the spot that Jake suggested, I looked back up at them in the wings. Jake was already smiling down at me. My cheeks were burning. I was thankful it was dark already.

And then, the lights when down and the screams began. 

I turned around to get a quick glimpse of what the boys would be seeing and took a few photos. Josh was right, it really was beautiful. They hadn't even gotten on stage yet and the screams echoed around the venue, shaking the air to the floor. And then, one by one, they walked out. It was hard to stay focused with how angelic they looked, effortlessly gliding to their spots, waving to the crowd before beginning to play. It was difficult to concentrate on any one of them in particular. They were all glowing.