Chapter 124: End It Right

I couldn't help but smile, reaching up, gently holding his face in my hand. His smile grew as he leaned in close.
"You have no idea how badly I want to kiss you right now." He whispered into my ear. I felt my entire body get hot, my cheeks burning bright red as my heart began to race.
"Me too." I sighed, peeking back up at him. He pulled me closer, leaning his forehead against mine, continuing to sway.

But I knew that he wouldn't.
Not yet.

He held his stare on me until the song finally ended, when he gave me a gentle smile, taking my hand in his again.
"We should get you back inside before you freeze." He laughed. "Do you.. wanna go back to the bar or.." I shook my head.
"I should go back to the bus." I said softly, intertwining our fingers. He nodded, leading us back. I stopped at the door, turning around to face him.
"Well, I.. I should make sure they're not all passed out on the floor somewhere." He laughed, motioning towards the bar. I nodded, smiling back at him.
"Okay." I said softly. "Well, thank you.. for tonight." He nodded.
"Anytime." He said, smiling back, his eyes moving down to my lips. My heart started beating faster.
"Well.. m-maybe I'll still be awake.. when you get back." I said, doing my best to stall him leaving as long as I could.
"I hope so." He giggled to himself, shoving his hands into his pockets, holding his stare on me.

I could tell he was doing the same thing.

"Okay.. well.. goodnight, Sam." I finally sighed, hesitating, but eventually turning around, and going back onto the bus, shutting the door behind me. I waited for a moment before quickly running up the steps and peeking out the window to see him slowly making his way back towards the bar. My heart jumped as he turned back around to look, flashing me a smile. I bit down on my lip, trying to contain mine as I gave him a gentle wave. He waved back before making his way down the sidewalk.

I sighed, plopping down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. Suddenly, everything felt.. different. He hadn't even been gone for five minutes and I already missed him. I couldn't remember the last time I felt this genuinely.. happy. It was amazing how in just a matter of minutes, Sam could make me forget about everything that had once felt like the end of the world. I peeked over at the back room, door still shut. I was sure that Jake had passed out by now.

 I made my way back, stopping at Sam's bunk, taking off his scarf and placing it on top of his pillow. I then hesitated before gently sliding the door open to see Jake lying there, scrolling through his phone. My stomach dropped.

"Y-you're awake." I said softly.
"Mhm.." He sighed, keeping his eyes locked on his phone. "And where were you?"
"I went out to.. get some air." He nodded, still not looking up. I made my way over, sitting down on the edge of the bed.

"We need to talk." I said. He looked over at me, finally putting his phone down.
"Alright." He said plainly, sitting up. "Let's talk."
I held my stare on him as my heart started pounding.

"Jake, I.. I can't do this anymore." I blurted out. He stared back at me, wide-eyed.
"You.. what?" He snapped.
"I can't keep doing this with you." I said softly, looking away.
"Wh-what are you talking about? What do you mean you can't keep doing this? Is.. is this because of what I said before?!" I could already feel my eyes starting to water.

"Jake, I.. I understand what we've gone through, and.. we could have talked about that too, but.. in that moment, I just really needed you to listen to me, and tell me.. I had nothing to worry about.. but you didn't. You.. you laughed at me. You're supposed to be the one I can go to for anything. I.. I never said I was perfect, and I know I've done things where you've had every right to be angry with me. But.. I just can't fight with you anymore. Every day I wake up and I wonder if we're going to have a good day and.. I can't live like that for the rest of my life."