Chapter 119: Jake's P.O.V

Jake's P.O.V

"We love you guys, thanks for having us." Kyle said.
"No problem, yeah, it's gonna be a great time." I said, now turning to Charlotte, who stared back up at me with wide-eyes and a gentle smile. I felt my cheeks burn as she reached out, holding on to my hand with both of hers.

"Can't wait." She said softly, her eyes now in a daze. I gently tried pulling my hand away, but she held on tighter. I could feel Jess' eyes burning a hole in the back of my head.

"I'm Jess." She finally said, holding her hand out to Charlotte. "Jake's girlfriend."  I felt my heart start to beat faster, a small smile escaping my lips. I'd never get used to hearing her say that, especially considering how long it took for her to finally want to.

"Nice to meet you!" Charlotte said. "It's so nice that there's another girl here. I'm usually the only one." She laughed. I could see Jess' jaw clenching.
"Yeah.. that's what it was like for me on the first leg." She said simply. Charlotte nodded, holding her stare on Jess. 

I couldn't tell what was going on here, I just knew I didn't like it.

I reached over, wrapping my arm around Jess. 
"Well, maybe we can all meet up when we get to the venue, we can get something to eat before the show." I said simply, avoiding Charlotte's eyes.
"Sounds good!" Kyle called out, grabbing his bag. I felt my stomach drop as Charlotte turned back to face me, flashing me another smile as she grabbed her guitar case and made her way onto their bus.

I sighed, turning back to Jess, pulling her back in. All I wanted to do was be alone with her. The last thing I wanted was to start off this tour on the wrong foot. I could feel that things were off between us, and I hated how I knew they were my fault. I just needed to figure out how to fix it.

"You didn't think to introduce me?" She asked. My heart dropped. I turned to her, my eyes getting wide.
"I.. I was going to.." I said softly, feeling my cheeks burn. I really didn't mean anything by it, I just.. wanted to get out of there. She avoided my eyes, staying quiet as we made our way back to our bus.

"They seem cool." Josh said. I nodded, shrugging it off, slowly tuning them all out. I just couldn't stop thinking about our fight this morning. I don't know why it was so hard to just talk to her. Everything was finally perfect until Sam came in and.. ruined everything. There was no doubt in my mind that she would've said yes if I had proposed that night.. until he barged in. I saw how she looked at him, and I knew.. it was different this time; different than it was with Josh. I don't know when it happened, but.. there was no denying it was there.

When I finally tuned back in, I saw Danny staring back at me, expecting an answer.
"Oh, yeah.. cool." I said simply, hoping that covered whatever he said. I zoned out again as they continued talking. I just needed to get her alone. I wanted to talk everything out but.. I didn't know what to say that wouldn't make me sound.. insecure or paranoid or just-

And then I felt her slip her hand into mine, my heart beating faster as she slowly intertwined our fingers. I couldn't help but smile, feeling my cheeks burn, but I just couldn't bring myself to look at her. Any wrong move and I felt like I would just.. break.

Then I heard her sigh, pulling her hand away. My heart dropped as she got up from the couch. I finally snapped out of it, looking back up at her, my face dropping.
"Where you goin?" I asked, feeling my cheeks burn. I didn't want her to go. The last thing we needed right now was time apart.
"I'm.. I'm just gonna call my dad, I told him I'd let him know when we were on the road again." She said softly, motioning towards the back room. I felt my heart start to beat faster. Her dad. If it wasn't for him, maybe we would be engaged by now. I don't know why I let him get to me, but I know if anyone's opinion mattered.. it was his.
"O-okay.." I said softly, watching her walk away before turning back to the rest of the guys.