17. Gamble

Today, Guren had taken Hotaru around the villages. She had not been outside the compound for so long. He had promised her a few days ago and Hanako already gave them her permission in a condition that he had to bring her before sunset.

Hotaru had listed a few places she'd liked to visit and eat. He didn't mind it, consider the fact that he won't lose anything from it except for his pocket money. He was reluctant at first, asking himself why money has to be involved in whatever era he's in. Hotaru though, didn't even spare him a mercy and had asked for toys and accessories for her hair. He had second thoughts before spending it on unnecessary things although all he did was gave in when the girl had shown him her puppy eyes and boy he was weak towards that.

Guren had taken a break from his usual activities, from training or even communicating with anyone except for Hanako and her children. Even his team that had tried to greet him before- he'd ignored them all, saying he's not feeling well.

Of course it wasn't a waste of time. He had to lay low for awhile, he can feel the eyes watching him from afar. All he had in mind at the time was that they were probably Danzo's people. Thus this has led to the reasons why he hadn't experimented on his new eyes yet.

Firstly, he didn't want to be find out by Danzo. Who knows if what will happen to Shisui in a few years to come will happen to him now if he were to be found having these eyes. Secondly, there was no one he could use his Mangekyo on without revealing that he had gained one.

There are two people with Mangekyo Sharingan whom Guren knew would be able to help- the clan's leader, Uchiha Fugaku and his own supervisor, Uchiha Shisui.

Guren had met Fugaku twice in his life, only when Hamada had brought him to visit the family. Once when Itachi was born and another was when Fugaku wanted to see Guren's progress after hearing that his Sharingan had awakened. Although through all those times, he noticed that Hamada never really likes it when he had to bring the boy to Fugaku.

Other than those times, Guren had simply greeted Fugaku when he saw him, then left without conversing any further.

Even so, asking for help from the clan's leader isn't what Guren would likely do. There is too many risks to take. He didn't want to gain unnecessary attention like Shisui did. This will further restraint his movements to take any actions.

The latter, was a much better choice. Uchiha Shisui isn't someone who would give his subordinate's secret to anyone. He's that trustworthy, but if there is the only thing that would make it a problem is that Shisui is loyal to Konoha. He will take a side that is different from Guren's, so it is likely for Hiruzen to find out about his Mangekyo.

He wondered if the Root has certain places they aren't able to enter except for noble clan's compound. Certainly, they can't enter the prideful Uchiha's as they like because from his observation up until now, he can't feel any Root in the clan-- whenever he's at home.

Even so, he needed to sort out his thoughts properly.

It was all over his head, waiting to explode. Not until Hotaru had asked him out that he won't stop thinking.

"Guren, look! An apple candy!" She beamed while tugging the hem of Guren's shirt. Then she ran off to the stall.

"Hotaru!"

*****

Uchiha Obito had failed in bringing back Guren's father home alive. Eventhough he had promised Kakashi, Guren had already arrived safely in Konoha.

After finding the body of Uchiha Hamada, Obito and Genji were stuck in the battle. Not only them but also a team of medical shinobi who tried to help bring the dead bodies back, were unable to get back to Konoha. Fortunately, they were able to return not long after that with the helps of unfallen jonins and chunins although, by that time the battle was already over.