Poyhaz Part 1

Poyraz could not believe he was sitting in a coffee shop in Istanbul.  It was only a month ago that he was home, sitting by the beach with Alper and discussing their plans on what they were going to do after the summer was over.  He and his friends had just finished high school and had decided on their paths in life.  He was going to run the olive oil factory, Melissa and Alper were going to work at their family restaurants, Idil was going to be a nurse and Hakan was going to find his fortunes in Izmir.

But his own plan had fallen on the wayside. His grandmother had convinced him, actually forced him, to go to university in Istanbul. She said that she wanted Poyraz to reach his potential.  To obtain the MFA in photography that he had wanted. After all, if he realized it was not what he wanted to do and was miserable, he could always go back.  Well, he was miserable and he wanted to go back.  But he had made a promise to his grandmother to give it a chance and a month in Istanbul may not qualify as giving it a chance.

Poyraz sighed and decided that dwelling on these thoughts was useless.  He glanced at his book on Color Theory and was intending to open it when he heard someone yelp "Ahhh," and suddenly felt something cold and wet hit his pants. He could not believe it!  His pants were soaking wet and smelled suspiciously like orange juice.  He looked up, about to say something bad to the culprit when his eyes met brilliant blue eyes.  They were blue like the ocean that last summer day he had at the island, deep azure with flecks of green and gold dancing on the surface. Poyraz felt like he was drowning in those eyes. But he was pulled from his staring by a sweet voice repeatedly saying, "I'm sorry, so sorry!"

Poyraz refocused from those eyes to see that their owner was beautiful!  She had long dark hair, delicately arched brows and flushed pink cheeks. In fact her whole face was flushed pink and she looked embarrassed. Poyraz wanted to say something, anything to remove the deep worried furrows from her brows, but he could not form words, let alone think.

He suddenly felt hands moving up and down his thighs.  He looked down his pants and saw that the girl with ocean eyes was trying to pat dry his pants while still apologizing. His mind suddenly surfaced from that feeling of drowning to alarm at the heat that was enveloping his body from watching her hand go higher and higher. Poyraz reached down immediately to her wrist and held her hand away from his thigh.  He tried to calm his breath and stop his heart from beating out of his chest.

Poyraz took a deep breath and stood up gingerly.  He said, "It's alright.  No harm done. No apologies needed."

She looked up at Poyraz gratefully and said, "are you sure?"

Poyraz immediately said, "quite sure.  Everything is alright."

She smiled and apologized again saying, "I'm so sorry but I am in a hurry.  Are you quite sure there is nothing ...?"

Poyraz tried to smile but it came out as a grimace and said, "quite."

With a bright smile, she turned and hurried out the door.  It wasn't until he could no longer see her that Poyraz realized that he never asked her name.  What kind of fool was he?  He could only hope that he would see her again soon ....

(Years Later)

Poyraz did not really want to be in the dance competition but he had no choice.  He thought though that maybe he would not have to go through it since Idil's ankle was bandaged and she could not dance. But then he heard Mert saying that he saw Poyraz's girlfriend.

Poyraz thought, girlfriend?  What girlfriend?  He followed the direction where Mert was pointing and saw her, the girl with the ocean eyes and he heard the people around her teasing her, and calling her by her name, Haziran.