036

Trigger Warning: Torture (Ima keep you on your toes until it actually happens 😈)

   Rel stood on the balcony of Scott's bedroom staring out at the sunset. They looked to their left, expecting to see Scott standing there with them, running his hand up and down their back in soothing circles. No one had seen him or Gem since that afternoon and Scott hadn't shown up to meet with the villagers. Rel went in his place.
   It was the typical problems of corrupt farms and such. Rel just turned the villagers to the royal farms to gather food. The golden carrot protected against corruption.

   Now Rel was worried. Normally if Scott was home late he was home by midnight. Rel was crouching on the edge of the frosty balcony. The wind whipping their short brown hair every which way. The feathers of their wings ruffled slightly as they wrapped around Rel's bare olive arms. Rel was wearing a thin cotton shirt and loose brown pants. The ones they typically wore to bed.
   A loud hoot sounded from above Rel and a dark shape passed over the moon. Rel clicked their tongue and held a bare arm out for the owl. It landed lightly on their arm, retracting their talons into their feet as to not hurt Rel.
"Any luck?" Rel clicked at the owl, staring at her intently.
"None, I can't find them" The owl hooted sadly at Rel as they sighed.
"Let's go get help" Rel hooted to the owl. Rel didn't even bother changing into a warmer outfit. They scrawled a note on a piece of paper, placing it on the hastily made bed. They took a running leap off of the balcony, diving towards the ground and extending their wings right before they hit the ground. They swooped up into the air. A determined look on their face. Their hair whipping around in the harsh wind. Their loose shirt flapping wildly. They flew. They flew towards the Cod Empire.

.:():.

A short man hovered in the water. His brown glicks* waving like seaweed in the water. His hair was messy and clumped with a weird green lime and his eyes were a bright ocean blue. He swam leisurely down the glass tube and just relaxed. This was his favorite place. Especially when he couldn't sleep.
   Loud resounding bangs sounded through the water. The man jumped up, slamming his head on the top of the glass. He rubbed his forehead as the bangs continued. Jimmy groaned covering his ears and glicks. He swam towards the wall pressing his face against the glass and peering out. He flinched again as another bang resounded through the water. The man caught sight of something and his expression turned annoyed. He moved back from the glass before turning along and sprint-swimming along the glass tube and flying around the corner, stopping at the glass.
   "Oh my cod, STOP" He yelled in Fishlish at the person... flying? He looked closer through the foggy glass to try and see their features and just ended up sighing before yelping as the person tapped on the glass again.
   "Your majesty! The lady in the glass is attacking!!!!" A small cod swam up to the man.
"Yes I know Mak i'll go check it out" The man swam up to the top of the tube and pushed hard on a spruce trapdoor that closed on one end. He pulled himself out of the water, feeling his scales retract into his skin and his glicks lie flat against his head, fusing with his skin. He stood up on the top of the glass tube, his clothing dripping wet. Typically he would exit the tube through exit near his house so that he could change but right now he needed to see who was tapping the glass.
"CODFATHER JIMMY!!" He sighed walking along the top of the tub until he was right above the person. It was still too dark to see anything. The stars were covered by clouds and the only light present was from the village in his kingdom. The man sat on the edge of the tube and peered down at the person, they looked vaguely familiar.
"I'm up here but I can't really see you, who are you?" Jimmy asked, cocking his head to the side.
"It's Rel! King Scott's boyfriend!" Jimmy's eyes widened in recognition and a smile appeared on his face. Rel flapped their wings landing frantically on the top of the tube, finding their balance.
"What are you doing here Rel?" Rel walked up to Jimmy putting their hands on his shoulders.
"Scott is missing! Gem too! Katherine won't know where they are because she is so isolated, I had to come to you..." Rel trailed off but the panic was still relevant on their face.
"Well then" Jimmy said, a determined look on his face. He put his wet hands on Rel's shoulders, "We'd better get going! But let me change out of my wet clothes first."
"O-oh yeah, let me help" Rel said. Jimmy was about to ask what they meant by help but before he could, Rel had picked his up by his arms and flapped their wings hard. Jimmy squeaked as they flew down to Jimmy's house.
"D-don't do t-that again" Jimmy said wobbling on his feet.
"Oh sorry..." Rel said looking down.
A few moments later Jimmy exited his house. He wore a strange seaweed cropped top and dark green pants.
"Well I'm gonna have to swim to get to wherever we're going so might as well dress the part." Jimmy smiled, "Let's go." Rel flapped their wings and Jimmy dove into the swampy water. He swam near the surface so that Rel could see him and Rel kept a look out. Off the two friends went. Off to their first stop, The Lost Empire.

AN: Hey my wonderful mers. A few things about this chapter. Jimmy's 'glicks' are his brown antler-like appendages that come out of his head. They act kind of like antennae where they sense and amplify the vibrations in the water. The second thing I have to say is that Rel in non-binary but when it comes to words like 'husband/partner/wife' and 'girlfriend/boyfriend/partner' Rel prefers the masculine option, so in this case 'boyfriend'. I think that is all I have to say! Love y'all!

~Syre 🧜🏻‍♀️