014

Scott walked into the room, Rel trailing behind him. Their mouth open slightly as they took in their surroundings. They were in a large cavernous space with quartz and dark wood lining the walls. They were standing in a platform above the main floor, there were two staircases down the sides. In the center of the main floor was a long dark oak table with chairs lining the sides. At the head was a large quartz throne with gold antlers emblazoned on the wall behind it. Off to the right was a large board, on the board were the emblems of all of the other empires. They were on top of a square that was colored depending on relationship. For example, the House Blossom emblem was on top of a bright green square. The Lost Empire was on top of a red square, which Rel assumed to mean enemy.
"How did you build this?" They asked turning and looking at Scott.
"Uh, Hard work?" He answered shrugging.
"You did this all yourself?"
"Yeah," Scott looked slightly embarrassed, "Do you like it?"
"It's beautiful" Rel smiled before walking over and giving him a tight hug. Scott hugged them back.
"Why are you hugging me?"
"I don't know, I just felt like it" Rel said burying their head in Scott's shoulder. Scott being taller than Rel rested his head on top of theirs.
"YOUR MAJESTY!" A breathless voice said, Rel and Scott jumped away from each other. It was the middle of the night, why was a guard here. "There is something you need to see" the guards face said everything, trouble.

.:():.

What was wrong? Scott wondered as they ran over the covered bridge. He clutched Rel's hand in his own, both of them running at full speed, trying to keep up with the guard who was sprinting towards the enchanted tower. Scott's stomach dropped, what if there was something wrong with the crystal. The crystal was an ancient relic that Rivendell had built itself around, using it for power and magic.
Rel squeezed his hand, sensing his worry. They made eye contact as they slowed to a walk as they approached the door to the tower. The guard pushed open the iron gate surrounding it, jogging all the the dirt path and into the tower. Rel and Scott followed, still clutching each others hands.
"We saw it during the shift in the guard," the guard said while walking up the stairs. As they entered the crystal chamber, Scott gasped, flinging his hands up to his face.
"W-what?" He looked up at the beautiful blue and gold crystal. The top of it was completely red, a strange dark liquid dripping off the edge and puddling on the ground.
"We don't know what happened your majesty," The guard said, "Someone must have slipped past between the change"
"W-we have to fix it..."

.:():.

   Rel sat on the platform, they had been sitting in the tunnel for at least an hour, waiting for Scott to come down. They leaned back on their hands, sighing. What is he isn't coming? They thought, maybe I should go check on him. They made up their mind, standing up and jumping down onto the muddy gravel. They started walking up the tunnel. Rel had never been this far up before. As they turned a corner they came to a small wooden platform that held the start of a ladder going up.
   The climb up the ladder was not hard, however, near the top their hand slipped, causing them to yelp in pain. They examined their hand, seeing a small scrape on their palm. Rel rubbed their hand on their pants, before continuing to climb up and sitting down at the top of the ladder. They examined the cut, carefully pulling a splinter out. They shook out their hand standing up. Rel was standing in a small hallway leading to a plain wall with three triangular shapes on it. They walked up to the wall, knocking on different spots before trying to push the triangles in. They would not budge but Rel kept trying anyway. Eventually they decided to try and push and three of the triangles, at the same time. The wall suddenly swung open revealing a large room behind it.
   The room was a good size, the walls painted a light cyan color and the floor was polished spruce wood. There was a large bed situated in the center of the wall on Rel's right, it was neatly made and had a small black cat curled in the center. They stepped down from the painting, letting it swing quietly shut behind them. They heard a small hoot and walked towards the sound, walking up to a large curtain. Rel slowly pulled the curtain to the side. They were surprised to see King Scott standing on the balcony, his white cloak blowing the the mountain wind. On the balcony sat a small hot air balloon with a miniature wooden barrel attached to the bottom. On the railing sat a large snowy owl with a silvery beak. Who was hooting at Scott every so often. Rel stepped out past the curtain.
"Scott?"

AN: Hey guys! I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. I apologize for the slow updates but I think that I warned you of that in the beginning. I tend to loose track of projects 😬. Hope y'all are doing okay! Please comment, follow, and vote!

~Syre