030

"Yes please?" Scott said, straightening his spine and fixing his crown.
"No need to look professional your majesty, I may be of a low class but I am a doctor." The tall woman slid down the side of her horse, her blue dress flowing after her. "My name is Candence Elanda Watson and this is my little one Wayland" The small boy on the horse looked over at Scott and waved his small hand sloppily. Candence picked him up from the saddle and put him on the ground to hobble around.
"I am King Scott"
   "I know," Candence reached into her saddlebag pulling out a good sized leather bag. She pulled open the drawstring and kneeled on the ground. She motioned for Scott to lay Rel down on the ground and he followed her direction. She started to pat away the blood from the wing wound with a cloth and wrapping it in fresh gauze, before slowly ripping away Rel's shirt and undoing the wrapping. "Oh Rel what did you do this time," Candence mumbled starting to press the cloth to Rel's wounds.
   "You know Rel?" Scott asked, glancing over at the toddler playing in a small patch of snow.
   "Of course!" Candence replied, biting her tongue as she cleaned deeper into the wound, Rel whimpered in pain and Scott whipped his head around, only to see Candence gently running her fingers through their hair. "I'm their sister"
   "I didn't know they had a sister..." Scott looked off into the distance as the sun set. At this point Candence had pulled a needle and thread from her bag and was sterilizing it in what looked like vinegar or water, Scott couldn't tell. Candence started work on the wound sewing the skin together with delicate practiced hands.
   "I'm surprised they didn't tell— would you mind grabbing Wayland before he falls?" Scott looked over to see the toddler looking over the edge of a steep hill. Candence was still completely focused on Rel. Scott walked over and picked up the child, setting him gently in his lap and letting him play with Scott's fingers.
   "Thank you— anyways, I was the one who lost them in the crowds of the city the day they disappeared. Some boys from my class were being mean to them and I lost their hand somewhere. I was never able to find them and I hated myself every day for 12 years." Scott looked up at the woman with sympathy clouding his gaze.
"Why 12?" Scott mentally facepalmed as his curiosity spoke out of turn. "Rel said they were take for 20 years?" Candence looked up at him understanding in her eyes.
"Would you mind helping me flip him— them over?" Scott nodded, placing the 3 year old child on the rock next to him he moved over to Rel and tried not to vomit. He was always queasy when it came to blood. Scott carefully picked up Rel as Candence lay a stained leather sheet on the stone. Scott put Rel back down gently on their stomach and moved to their head, laying it in his lap and softly stroking their hair. "You were saying? I'm sorry I wasn't listening for a bit there."
"No problem." Scott smiled, beckoning the small child back over to him and having him sit between Scott and Candence. "Why only 12 years? Rel said 20"
"I met Caladine" Candence smiled as she talked about who Scott assumed to be Candence's partner. "He helped me get over the past and we settled down. He was willing to step back into the shadows and let me live my dream of being a doctor. He was what I needed at that time. My mental health wasn't... great." Scott stopped playing with Wayland for a moment.
"I am sorry you had to go through that"
"It's no problem, especially now I have Wayland and Caladine and my little brother Anyn." Candence smiled wider as she tied off the thread on Rel's back. She started to wrap fresh gauze around their chest, being sure to cover all of her stitching and put away her supplies in the saddlebag. She slowly lifted Rel up onto her horse before picking up Wayland and resting him on her hip.
"Ready to go? Do you want me to carry Wayland?" Scott asked standing up and stepping forward towards the small group.
"Yes I think we are and that would be amazing, as long as you don't mind" Scott smiled before picking up Wayland and placing him on his shoulders. The small crew of elves walked through the mountain, towards Rivendell. Through the night and on into the next day. Scott was exhausted. Rel had woken up once and asked what was going on. But had fallen back into unconsciousness before either could answer. Finally the familiar sights of the kingdom cape into view.
"By the way, why did you have so many advanced medical supplies in your saddlebag?"
"I am a traveling physician, I go to people's homes when they can't make it to a hospital"
"That is amazing!" Candence chuckled before approaching the bridge guard.
"Hello Alvin, how's work?" She handed him a piece of paper which he looked over before giving back to her.
"Looking amazing as always Candy. Work is doing well, how's Cala?" Candence smiled,
"He is doing very well although fatherhood seems to have just caught up to him" Alvin chuckled before stepping to the side and waving them through.
"Welcome home your majesty, I see you have met Candence" He gave a deep bow and Scott smiled,
"Thank you Alvin, I may see you again sometime when time comes for me to visit another empire again." Alvin gave a lighthearted chuckle before waving Scott through as well.
The small group trekked through the city, Scott kept his hood up, shadowing his face as to not draw attention to himself. They approached a small dead end alley where three houses sat. Candence walked to the house on the right, taking a set of keys from her pocket, she unlocked the door and set Wayland down inside. She tied her horse to the fence and carefully picked up Rel from it's back, taking them inside and laying them down on the couch.
"Cal! Vera! I'm home!" Scott heard a small clatter from up the rickety stairs and a small 6 year old girl came tumbling down the stairs.
"Mum!" The girl had long red hair that was pulled in a messy braid down her back and tied haphazardly with a strip of leather. She had one blue and one green eyes and she tackled Candence with a hug, the moment she hit the ground.
"Verily?"
"Yeah?" The little girl smiled up at her mother. Scott smiled at the small family.
"Did Daddy do your hair?"
"Yes. I. Did." A deep voice sounded from the top of the stairs as a man walked down. His footsteps were irregular and he held the railing lightly, brushing his fingertips against the wall. Verily and Wayland skittered off up the stairs, brushing past the man's legs and he chuckled.
"Good job babe! I have someone I want you to meet!" The man reached the ground and Scott now had a good view of his features. He had pale skin and short dark red hair. His eyes were pale ice blue however they didn't seem to look at anything in particular. He wore a red flannel and a grey shirt with brown pants. His feet were bare.
"Oh? Who is this mystery person?"

AN: Hello my beautiful mers! Now we know who Candence is and we have met her family. We have met Candence before, however that was in a flashback. I hope y'all enjoyed! Don't forget to eat plenty of food and get your butts outside sometime this week. Love y'all!
~Syre 🧜🏻‍♀️