Chapter Twenty-Five

This is the 4th chapter of a quadruple update. Please make sure you read chapters 22, 23 & 24. Enjoy!

"We have a problem." Griffin whispered into his ear.

Harry's spine straightened, and he glanced at his lieutenant before turning back to the conversation at hand. Ivy's sister was introducing her date, looking as meek as always. He hadn't really been paying attention, but noticed her new boyfriend was looking at him and Griffin curiously.

"I'm sorry to cut this short," Harry interrupted, "but I need to speak with my wife for a moment."

Ivy took in his face, seeing how serious he was, then smiled at them, "It was nice to meet you, Tyler. Sorry, Cara."

"Yeah, no, it's okay." Cara said halfheartedly.

Harry didn't wait to pull Ivy away, his palm on her lower back, leading her towards the back of the ballroom immediately. Griffin followed dutifully.

"What's going on?" Ivy asked under her breath, sending a few guests smiles as they passed.

"Something's wrong." He whispered into her ear.

They found a private room, Griffin locking the door behind them. Ivy frowned, crossing her arms across her chest. The strain of tonight was present on her face. She looked more tired than he's ever seen her.

"Your house burned down."

Silence followed the proclamation.

It took a few seconds for Harry to grasp what he was telling them. The house they were supposed to go home to tonight, the one his father had bought for them, was apparently gone.

"I'm sorry, what?" Ivy looked between them.

"They're saying there was a gas leak." Griffin continued, "Neighbors alerted the police to a small explosion, and by the time the firefighters got there, it was already too late."

Her eyes caught Harry's, "Do you think we were meant to be there when it happened?"

It was a fair question. A gas leak and fire would be a great cover up. Hell, Harry's used that himself. But it didn't quite feel right.

"No." Harry shook his head, "It's a message."

Her eyebrow rose, shoulders deflating, "The spiders?"

"Or whoever's leading them now."

She let out a deep breath, hands lightly rubbing her face. Normally, she wouldn't have dared in case she messed up her makeup, but tonight she had had enough.

His decision was instant, Harry turning back to Griffin, ordering, "I need you to find this Shadow person. She's our only hope to secure the spiders back to our side. The longer this goes on, the less likely it is that we'll get them back. See what you can find out tonight about the fire. Witnesses, whispers. Anything. Check in with the police commissioner too. Make sure they're not being paid off to hide evidence of foul play."

He nodded once and abruptly left, leaving Harry alone with her.

"Do we have to stay?" She said quietly, looking more defeated than ever.

Closing the distance, he tilted her chin up, "I think we've done our job."

She sagged in relief, "Let's sneak out. Everyone's already shit-faced, so they won't notice."

He bent down to kiss her for the first time since the ceremony. It was a simple kiss, one to give comfort rather than to arouse. She leaned into his touch, lengthening the embrace. Warmth flooded his body, a foreign feeling bubbling up inside of him.