Chapter Sixty-Nine

"So, you're luring him to a priceless exhibit in front of the city's most wealthy and infuential people. With our sister on his arm, no less." Finn said over the phone with a sigh.

"She made her bed." Ivy said simply, sending off an email. She was in her home office, finishing up a campaign for Malone Whiskey. Finn was on speaker, the house to herself.

"Yet, I'm assuming she thinks this is a show of good faith."

"Of course." Ivy went on, "She would warn him otherwise."

She could hear the tiredness in his voice. "She will anyways. Cara's not as dumb as you think she is-"

"That remains to be seen." She muttered.

Finn continued like he hadn't heard anything. "She's known you her whole life. There's not a chance she believes you've just changed your mind."

"But she's hopeful." Ivy told him, "She wants me to like the guy, so she'll accept the invitation. Plus, the museum holds an interest in him. If she truly believes his story, then she'll want him to experience the exhibit."

"When is this again?" He asked.

"Saturday." She took a sip of her lukewarm coffee. Cringing, she stood, picking up her phone to head downstairs and get a fresh cup. "Are you going to be there?"

He hesitated before saying, "No, I've got other plans."

"What plans?" She asked.

"Ivy." Finn's voice was filled with a finality, and suddenly she knew.

After a few tension-filled seconds, she spoke, "How?"

"I'm not going to tell you." Before she could fight him, he continued, "No one will know."

She nodded to herself, counting the days between then and Saturday. How many days she had left of her father being alive.

"Let me know if you need me that night." She told him.

"You let me know if you need me that night." Finn challenged, "There's a good chance you'll be going up against two psychopaths."

"I know, but I won't be alone."

A pause. "I'm never alone, Ivy. I know you'll be there right beside me if I ask."

"Good."

"I've got to go now." He said.

She reluctantly said goodbye, then returned to her office where she worked the rest of the day in silence. It wasn't until night took over and she heard the beeping of her alarm downstairs that she put her work away. First, she checked her security app to make sure it was Harry coming home and not anyone else. It was something she did every day, refusing to be caught off guard by her stalker once more.

The feeling of him up against her, breathing on her face, trapping her against that wall was still fresh on her mind. He would never touch her like that again.

She went to their bedroom and changed into something more appropriate to be seen in. Her dark jeans and sweater were casual, and not many people saw her like this, but it was just Griffin.

The dull thud of her husband's footsteps carried up the hall. A moment later, he was entering the room, taking off his cufflinks. His suit jacket followed, then he kissed her in greeting.

They didn't say much as they got ready, Harry changing into something more casual as well. It was always a little strange seeing him so dressed down, but it reminded her of just how much everything had changed. How much they had changed.