Chapter Seventy-Nine

"How is he?" Harry asked one of his guards as they entered the doctor's house.

"Still breathing. He's been in surgery for a few hours now."

Harry nodded once then started down the steps to the basement. After finding the entrance to the catacombs sealed up, Finn called Dev to find that he had come here to finish working on Harry's phone. Willow had joined them, deciding to keep Griffin's girl and her sister company while waiting to hear if he would survive.

Griffin's injuries had been severe, but it was the blood loss that worried them the most. He had been bleeding out quickly in the overturned car, the only body left in the carnage still breathing, although shallowly.

The guard he had ordered to follow them had survived the firefight, but with his own injuries it took a while for him to get Griffin out of the car and into the one that arrived on the scene. They were lucky the police hadn't shown up before they got him out, but unfortunately, he wasn't fast enough to retrieve the bodies of Ivy's guard, Mason, and, of course, Cara.

Those were left to the police.

Which was honestly the last thing they needed right now. Before Gold and the police bombing, they would have been able to operate around Queenstown's "finest", however now there was too much interest from them to safely conduct business like they needed to. One wrong move and cuffs would be slapped around their wrists - even if the charge couldn't possible stick. They were trigger happy, and from what Finn had explained to Harry after their scuffle, Detective Gold seemed even more incensed to find them guilty of something.

The only hope Harry had was that Gold would stick to her principles. While a by-the-book cop was annoying, they had morals. They wanted to catch the bad guy. And while Harry and Finn and the others definitely weren't good guys, they weren't the bad guys in this situation. Gold wanted someone to pay for the loss of life of her people, but she would want it to be the right person.

"There you are." Dev said as he saw them round the corner to the waiting room. It was just as it was before when Harry was the one on the operating table. "I finished with your phone."

"Was it tampered with?" Harry asked, taking the phone back. He had a ton of missed messages, both from his people and Finn.

"No shit." Dev huffed out a laugh, "Someone made it so that no calls, texts, emails, any messaging of any kind, could come through. You could still make calls and texts to make it seem like it was normal, but no one could get through to you. It was almost like a more intense version of airplane mode. Do you know-"

"Someone at the prison." Harry answered, "I had to turn in my phone and the guy I got it back from was looking at me weird. I knew something was off."

"Well, regardless, you wouldn't have gotten any calls in their anyways. The service is awful." Dev pointed out.

Willow was next to him, leaning against the stone wall with one foot kicked up and her arms crossed. "What did you guys find out?"

Harry looked at Finn then Ren.

Finn was the one that responded. "We're on the right track. But they know."

"What does that mean?" Willow asked, her dark eyebrows furrowing.

She didn't get her answer right away, though, because the door to the operating room opened. The doctor stepped out looking exhausted. Harry finally noticed Cecilia and Cat nearest to the door, both standing up from their chairs.

Harry stepped forward, Dev following him closely, and stood next to the women waiting for a verdict. He hadn't had much time to fully comprehend what would happen if Griffin didn't survive. His friend and lieutenant had been here through everything. He had helped him plan and given him advice and been by his side through every mistake and every victory. Losing him would be like losing an arm. He would be half as effective.